Humidity for Silkie Chicks from day 18 to day 21

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Loveoursilkies, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Loveoursilkies

Loveoursilkies Out Of The Brooder

Nov 21, 2012
    My eggs have been around 45 average humidity for 18 days, now moving to a second incubator and get so confused by reading so many different humidity levels. Many say don't do it too high, as silkie eggs are smaller and need a humidity a bit lower, like around 58 to 65, instead of 75 like other chickens and that too high is worse than too low (I read if it is too low that we may be more likely to help out). I am so scared to do too much, but not enough. Help! This is our first batch inside, broody hen hatched 4 this summer, we have over 20 growing strong and are so hopeful not to mess this up, but after reading all these posts, I'm a super nervous mom now. Thanks for any help!

Last edited: Nov 21, 2012
  2. AlienChick

AlienChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    Glasgow, KY
    If you're on "lockdown" you can raise the humidity to 65% or more.
    The chicks won't drown in the shell.
    And you'll notice that once the chicks start hatching, the humidity jumps way up anyway just from the wet chicks.
    DO NOT open the incubator during hatching.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]

3. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    Thanks for the information, we are trying to keep it at 60 to 65, but, struggling, have a humidifier in the room, we get it up and then it goes back down to 50. We are reading recommendations and will try them. Thanks again, one egg is now rolling around! Keeping our fingers crossed, day 21 is Saturday-Sunday.

4. Roxannemc

Roxannemc Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2012
    SE Missouri
    Add 2 soaking wet wash rags . opened up somewhat will raise your humjdity .

5. Loveoursilkies

Nov 21, 2012
    thanks, holding 65 humidity, one is is still wiggling, none of the others have yet, today, starting day 20 later today, did spread out a cloth in the bottom, dipping into the well and we have great temps and humidity now, hopeful for success, we are lucky, we'll be here the next 3 days all day without leaving (my husband and kids will be here all day Monday too), so we are checking every 10 minutes, looking in the window, not opening it, of course

6. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
    [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by