Humidity gone crazy

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by HobokenChickenEmergency, Apr 7, 2009.

1. HobokenChickenEmergency

HobokenChickenEmergency Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    My hatcher has 2 shotglasses of water in it, with toilet paper wads in them (instead of itty bitty sponges). My hygrometer is only reading 60%, but there's enough condensation on the glass for it to actually drip occasionally. Is it me, or does it sound like my hygrometer is way off?

Even at the pet store, it said 50%, which is possible because of all the reptile humidity. But it seems to me that if there's actually condensation, it should be reading a lot higher than 60%. Am I right?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2009
  2. CrazyChickieMama

CrazyChickieMama Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    I'll try to answer this, but I'm sure you'll get a lot more help too...
    It might be that the hygrometer is not calibrated properly...If you have vent holes that are not open, try opening one of them and see if the condensation goes away...Then, if you have a 24 hr wal-mart nearby, you can purchase a 5 dollar thermometer/hygrometer there...mine works great and is always on target! they are in the indoor/outdoor thermometer section over by the lighting and paint section in my wal-mart. I hope this helps!!! [​IMG]

3. HobokenChickenEmergency

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    Thank you! I was going to run there anyway for dog food, so I guess I'll pick one up. I don't want to drown the poor things.

4. CrazyChickieMama

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    not a problem!! they sell them on e-bay for like $15 dollars and I just have to laugh that I got mine for less than $7!!! Keep me updated!!!

5. HobokenChickenEmergency

Mar 18, 2009
    Evansville
    Lesson learned: Never shop in a pet store without checking Walmart first.

I just got 2 digital thermometer/humidity meters for $15.94. At the pet store yesterday, I bought 2 Zoomed hygrometers for $11.98, and 2 thermometers for $5.99-- neither of which are even accurate. That really chaps my hide. Grrr.

My living room alone is reading 36% humidity on the new meters, without condensation I might add, so I'm scared to even SEE what my hatcher is running at. But I suppose I better get to it before day 18 is over and the "no opening the hatcher" rule is imposed. LOL

6. CrazyChickieMama

Feb 23, 2008
    Bolton, NC
    I'm glad you're getting everything in order...I hope everything turns out okay!!! AAAhhh the joys and frustrations of hatching...out of 2 incubations and 27 eggs I've only had one baby hatch, and my daughter killed it!! but I just keep trying to get a succesful hatch and by golly, this one might be it!!!!!!

Here's to hoping!!!!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by