Humidity Hell....

preciouseureka

Songster
6 Years
Apr 3, 2016
Morning Everyone! This has probably been covered, apologies for going over it again but I can't find an answer. My old faithful incubator finally gave up the ghost and after much research I treated myself to a new one. I'd love to tell you the brand but there does not seem to be one! First hatch was fine. Here I am on my second hatch and the humidity has dropped to 44. I've got it mummified in towels, the lid has been checked so many times it's going on my resume and the room it's in is technically a sauna at this point! I live two blocks from the Humboldt Bay, nothing here is 44 ever! I've ordered another hydrometer in case the internal one is dead but I feel like I'm missing something. Really need these babies, they might be the last chance at fatherhood from my six year old beloved Roo Queenie. Any help or thoughts would be great.

The humidity isn't as big as a deal as the temperature, though it is important to raise the humidity before they're hatching to help prevent "shrink wrapping" which is when they get caught in the egg because the humidity isn't high enough or the incubator is opened too much. I'm not sure on that model, and since you can't find a brand name on it I can't help in the specifics on that model and look at reviews on it to see if anyone had similar issues. The best solution would be getting a hydrometer because if the humidity isn't rising after trying all of your methods, I'd be concerned with "shrink wrapping" and drowning the chicks if the humidity is a lot higher than what it says. If the hydrometer says it is still at 44%, consider adding a warm wet sponge or rag in the incubator to raise the humidity. And white vinegar with warm water will usually always help raise the humidity right away.

Morning Everyone! This has probably been covered, apologies for going over it again but I can't find an answer. My old faithful incubator finally gave up the ghost and after much research I treated myself to a new one. I'd love to tell you the brand but there does not seem to be one! First hatch was fine. Here I am on my second hatch and the humidity has dropped to 44. I've got it mummified in towels, the lid has been checked so many times it's going on my resume and the room it's in is technically a sauna at this point! I live two blocks from the Humboldt Bay, nothing here is 44 ever! I've ordered another hydrometer in case the internal one is dead but I feel like I'm missing something. Really need these babies, they might be the last chance at fatherhood from my six year old beloved Roo Queenie. Any help or thoughts would be great.
44% should be fine! I incubate chicken eggs at 25-30% so I'm gonna say 44% is just fine for quail. :D

If these are coturnix quail 44% is actually a bit high. I incubate mine at about 30% humidity and bring it up to about 50% at lockdown. You can increase humidity with a sponge if you need to.

If these are button quail, 44% humidity is okay.

44% would be too high in my quail incubator.

Never and I mean never trust any incubators built in thermometer or humidity readings.

Always purchase multiple thermometers to calibrate and at least one humidity gauge that can be salt tested.

Forgot to mention, another way to raise the humidity is spraying warm water either on the inside lid of the incubator or on the eggs themselves. But make sure you don't do this right before they hatch, and only light mist them.
☹️ Please do not spray water on your quail eggs.

Thanks so much! You guys are the best! My new hydrometer should be here today just in time for lockdown. I usually do a damp rag for the last three days just to avoid the shrink wrap issue and to give those tiny feet something soft to stand on.

You all have given me a lot to think about, much appreciated!

Thanks so much! You guys are the best! My new hydrometer should be here today just in time for lockdown. I usually do a damp rag for the last three days just to avoid the shrink wrap issue and to give those tiny feet something soft to stand on.

You all have given me a lot to think about, much appreciated!
You don't put a damp wrap underneath the eggs do you?

It is best not to wet the eggs at all which includes not laying them on a damp rag.

Back
Top Bottom