Humidity help!!! LOCKDOWN!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jeremy, Jul 1, 2010.

1. jeremy

jeremy CA Royal Blues

Mar 23, 2008
    Oakland, CA
    I just put 24 Olive Eggers and BBS Copper Marans into lockdown last night and I'm a little concerned about my humidity levels. I filled both water trays of my Hovabator 1588 and the humidity didn't get over 35%. I did line the bottom of the incubator with a slip resistant material to help prevent spaddle leg/foot deformities, could this be why my humidity levels are off? What should I do?

I've heard of adding a sponge to help raise humidity, but how high should I try to increase it? My last hatch the humidity at lockdown was at 60%, give or take. I've read about folks doing "dry hatches" (where I'm at now in terms of humidity) and wet hatches (50%-60%?) what do you think I should do? Leave the humidity where it's at, or try to raise it?

Today is day 18, HELP! [​IMG] [​IMG]

2. sonjab314

sonjab314 Constant State of Confusion

May 15, 2010
    Missouri
    I went into lockdown this morning. I have the same stuff covering my floor and my humidity levels are perfect. I'd try to get the humidity up if you can. I'm afraid to do a dry hatch. I'm afraid the babies will get shrink wrapped in the membrane. You can add a wet sponge, wet rag, wet towels.....just make sure you wet them with warm water. Hope it works out for you.

3. Slater1995

Slater1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Put a wet towel in the bator and just keep adding water as needed. We have the same problem with our bator and once we added the wet towel the humidity came right up. Be careful, it can get to humid quickly.

4. Debbi

Debbi Overrun With Chickens

May 2, 2010
    Missouri
    I was having trouble with mine too, so I cut up strips of sponge, and put them into the trays. Usually, it's humid as all get out here, but since mine started to hatch, the temp and humidity has dropped way off, figures. Do you have the red plugs in or out? I kept both of mine in to keep it humid. I've got humidity in mine at 65-71%, temps are between 99.5-100.5. Good luck, I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in here too.

5. SportChick

SportChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 7, 2010
    Louisiana
    I had trouble getting my humidity up in the first day of lockdown too. The sponges helped a lot. Also, if your incubator has plugs, sometimes keeping at least one plug in will help keep the humidity level up. I ended up with 2 sponges and a soggy wash cloth as well as all the wells filled and then I finally got my humitidy up to 60%.

Even in a dry hatch, the humidity is supposed to go up during lockdown. Aiming for 60% instead of 70% is Ok I think.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by