1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity Help Please (pics pg. 3)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Goat_Walker, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Goat_Walker

Goat_Walker I Am THE Crazy Duck Lady

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    OK
    So I posted a thread earlier on my abanoned eggs, now I need help with the humidity
    I have made a crude incubator out of a fish tank

and someone told me to use wet rags to help out with the humidity,

Am I supposed to put the rags ON , NEAR, AROUND the eggs, or just inside the incubator?

I placed them around the eggs, But now im afraid the room smells weird

Any suggestions?

I Even have a candle burning trying ot get the smell out.

( the room is also home to fish as well as rats so I cant use some chemicals or aerials.)

Last edited: Nov 3, 2008
  2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    When are the eggs due to hatch ?? Can you tell what the hum is in the fish tank ?? You should wet rags/sponges around inside the fist tank no need for them to be around the eggs unless the eggs have piped and seem to dry !! They arent piping yet are they ??

3. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    They are due anytime now , I have wet rags in there to keep the humidity up, unfortunately i cant tell what it is [​IMG] Not yet, but ehy should be soon

4. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    If you still think its to low after puting the rags in you could put a cup/bowl of water to try to up it more, it should be around 65% (I know you cant tell) I think I would add a bowl of water or a few more sponges to get it up there !! Whats the temp at ??

5. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Im guessing around 80 - 90 somehting degrees, i was told to get it to 105 but im haing trouble heating it up. There is condesation on the insides of the tank and "fog" sort of, I wish I had more experience or at least more supplies, "sigh"

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    I wouldn't go 105 !! 100-102 would be fine !! I think 105 is to high. If there is condesation on the glass then I would guess the hum is up there !! You dont want the hum to high either !! Are you using a heat lamp to heat it ??

7. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Ok, Ill aim around 101, and no, i dont have one yet, im hoping to get one after church today

Im using my 10 gallon tank light, it gives off plenty of heat ( hopefully)

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Are they duck eggs or chicken eggs ( I was reading another post of yours, I thought they were chicks)

If you get the heat lamp you should have no problem getting it up to 101 !! Just be careful b/c they can send the temp way up !!

9. Goat_Walker

Jul 9, 2008
    Maryland
    Thanks! They are duck eggs

I didnt get the lamp, darnnabit ( lol)

But the humidity is going good even so. I placed a bowl of hot water in there this morning to help out with it , I also saw on another post where they are using a straw to put the water in, Im using that idea

10. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Whats the temp at now ??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by