Humidity HELP

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by taylamiller1, Dec 18, 2013.

1. taylamiller1

taylamiller1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    Hey guys so I just made my homemade incubator and it's my first time but I just can't seem to get the humidity right. When the bulb is of it's at 72% but then when I turn the bulb on and it starts heating up the humidity goes plumiting down to around 40% or lower and I have 2 bowls and 2 cups both filled of water but still no difference please help

Last edited: Dec 18, 2013
  2. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I don't know how big your incubator is- I dry hatch and so do a lot of other people. don't freak out about water- 2 cups sounds like alot. I had a bigger styrafoam incubator I made- I freaked out about the water situation. had 2 cottage cheese cups of water in there and only one hatched. that was one I candled the most because it was a white egg, you see I dryed it out and it hatched.

my next hatch, I decided to try a copy paper box instead of the styrafoam and used 1/2 the water and I got 7/12 which was better- but I wanted a smaller box I only wanted to hatch 6,and smaller W for my lamp. The more eggs you have to turn the dryer your eggs get I learned, but if you have a few they keep each other moist until the inner pip, day 19 I like not 18 and the put in damp paper towel. MY next bunches of hatches I was getting 6/6 and usually I didn't need more chicks than that.
    [​IMG]
    current incubator
    so read up on dry hatching and remember to take our plugs and air out the styrofoam incubator.

3. gander007

gander007 Chicken Obsessed

I have been hatching for about 18 yrs and I do dry hatch chickens and
    only put in wet sponge's for water foul ..... It sounds to me like the
    bulb is drying out the air that is just fine .......

gander007 [​IMG]

4. taylamiller1

taylamiller1 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 18, 2013
    New Zealand
    Thanks a lot guys it really helped me out I was just so worried about the humidity. So I shouldn't be worried about the humidity only the last 3 days when they are finding there way out.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by