Humidity in a Hovabator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by idahoan, Aug 6, 2008.

1. idahoan

idahoan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    The instructions on my hovabator neglect to say at what humidity to keep it at. My last hatch of one chick was kept around 34. Is this to high? too Low??
    Thanks

2. clay

clay Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2008
    We didn't even use a hygrometer with ours. Just kept the one inside channel filled, then the two when it got within a couple of days of hatching time. Hatched a couple of chicks and a whole bunch o' ducks, about 90% success.

3. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    If you're going to use a hygrometer, keep it between 45-50% until day 18, then increase it to 60-75%, or thereabouts. It's not precise. [​IMG] But, having said that, if you keep a little water in there, it should be fine if you don't use a hygrometer. [​IMG]

4. chickenfanatic

chickenfanatic Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2008
    deming new mexico
    i agree with Mrs. AK-Bird-Brain i find 45 to 50 works best here

5. idahoan

idahoan Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2008
    Rathdrum, Idaho
    Thanks for the advice. I have added water. Hope no damage done to the eggs. Will have to wait it out and see.[​IMG]

6. sheepgal

sheepgal Out Of The Brooder

Jul 3, 2008
    Lexington Indiana
    I had a similar problem. I forgot to add ANY water at all for the first three days. Then it hit me on day three and filled all water compartments. Am I in trouble. I am only a week or so in....should i dump eggs and try a different batch?

7. Mrs MIA

Mrs MIA Chick Magnet

Mar 3, 2008
    Nope... keep 'em... they'll be fine. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by