Humidity in Australia

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Emchick160, Dec 20, 2014.

1. Emchick160

Emchick160 Out Of The Brooder

Dec 3, 2014
    Hi there
    I am in Perth WA, and am having a real issue with the humidity in my Janoel 42 incubator.
    I have two duck eggs due around the 24th Dec, and I can't get the humidity above 30%. Any suggestions please, Im worried that one of the babies has already died, but one still has movement, so I really want to get this sorted asap.
    Thanks!!

2. Orca5094

Orca5094 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2014
    Sweden
    Have you tried putting extra bowls/dishes of water inside the incubator? Or a wet sponge? Those will help add more surface area and thus increase the humidity.

3. Emchick160

Dec 3, 2014
    Thank you for your response. Yes, I have done all of the above but to no avail.. Im wondering if it has anything o do with how humid it is here already due to it being summer and very humid here already. Its up to 38 now, and thats the highest its been so far. Barely any water in it all now :(

4. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

G'day from the other side of the desert my friend!

I had to keep topping up my bator every few days because it was drying up. Kept happening last year too I just had to keep checking it every day and topping it up. With my second lot this year I ended up bringing the bator in and putting it in an air conditioned room because it was too bloody hot outside and I couldnt keep the temp steady. That lot didnt make it, just too much going wrong for them. Sometimes I would even pour warm water over the eggs themselves if it had gone dry inside.

Good luck mate, you are in the right place to get support and advice. Welcome to BYC.

5. Emchick160

Dec 3, 2014
    Thanks for your help. I have let my bator run pretty much dry as a bone and now the hunidity is reading 52%!!! Figure that one out lol. If I put a heap of water in there (like your supposed to lol!) The humidity drops to 30%... It must be something to do with this heat and humidity we are having here at the moment. The bator has been moved from the bathroom to the dining room, near an airconditioner vent and seems to be going very nicely... I give up haha!!

6. Kleonaptra

Kleonaptra Chillin' With My Peeps

My bator is an extremely cheap one that doesnt give me a humidity reading. I think in a way that saves me a lot of grief. Because I have to manual turn my eggs, I get a feel for if the eggs are dry or not. I think with duck eggs wetter is better so if my shells feel dry when I turn them I pop a bit more in.

Mine also seemed to do very well near the air conditioner, but on a hot day out in the garage they had rocketed up to 43C....I had to wait the full 30 days but I was pretty sure they bit it that day. Moved them to the cooler room far too late!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by