humidity in brinsea eco20

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kelliepulido, Jul 16, 2010.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    what do you keep it at during incubation?The directions say 40-50 for chickens have you followed that and had good results

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Songster

Jul 26, 2009
    That's pretty standard. I have the advanced with the humidity pump, and I set mine at 45% during incubation and then 65 to 70% for the hatch. I haven't done chicken eggs, though, as I dont want roosters so just prefer to buy pullet chicks. I had 7/8 fertile turkey eggs hatch at those settings, one died late in the shell.

Last edited: Jul 17, 2010
  3. Keri78

Keri78 Songster

Oct 17, 2009
    NJ
    45-50% up until day 18(or "Lockdown") then increase to at least 65%....I highly suggest the egg carton method...chicks hatched out quickly...seemed to be easier for them then when the eggs are just laying in there loose. As the chicks hatch your humidity will jump up but you can always regulate it by opening or closing or even scotch taping(when nessasary) the vent holes. I also use a medicine dropped to add water during the hatch through the vent holes if the humidity starts to get too low(below 65%)....I wouldn't let it get above 80-85% for long.

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Songster

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    do you use the egg carton in the brinsea? I have always used the egg carton in my hovabator but am trying to the new brinsea

5. m2wandc

m2wandc Songster

Apr 19, 2009
    what is the egg carton method?

6. daniellenoel

daniellenoel Songster

Apr 22, 2009
    Vail Colorado
    I am curious as well.. I am using the Brinsea too. How do you do the egg carton method and if my eggs have been laying flat since I started, do i change to egg carton for lockdown?

7. JustAChickenLittle&More

JustAChickenLittle&More Songster

Nov 25, 2010
    Florida
    I am not too keen on the whole egg carton thingy. I seemed to have better hatches without it. However, if your going to use it, I would use it UNTIL the 18th day. You just store the eggs pointy side down in the carton and turn them as normal. I don't know how the turning works with the brinsea so maybe someone else would have to tell you about turning them while in the egg carton. [​IMG]

8. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

I have started using the cut down egg carton method (except for one hatch, for which all the eggs wouldn't fit if they were in cartons) and I like it.

You take your basic Styrofoam egg carton (less sticking of the eggs to the carton, as there might be with cardboard cartons) and just use the bottom egg holding part. Cut off the bottoms of the cups and cut down the sides of the carton so you basically have a collection of "rings" held together.

Set the cut down carton(s) in the tray. Put your eggs in the "rings," pointy end down. If you aren't setting enough eggs to fill all the holes, set them so there are spaces around the outside and maybe a space or two between some of the eggs. Close the 'bator.

With the Eco20, you are turning the ENTIRE incubator cabinet, setting it on the flat "octagon" spaces. Each time you turn it, you move it so it sets on the next, adjacent flat spot. Basically, you will start turning it back the other way when you have reached the "eight o'clock" spot and then back the OTHER way again when you reach the "four o'clock" position. Or vice versa.

On day 18, when you stop turning for days 19, 20 and 21 (and any that may be afterwards) just set the 'bator on the flat bottom again. Leave the eggs in the cartons for the hatch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by