Humidity in Incubator?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MiBirds, Apr 28, 2018.

1. MiBirds

MiBirds Songster

Apr 7, 2017
    Georgia
    My Coop
    Hello! I brought an egg in from my coop and put it in my Brinsea Mini Advanced because the mama hen stopped sitting on it. I have no idea exactly how old the chick in the egg is, however I know it’s nearing the end. My question is is it more dangerous to turn the humidity up and temperature down slightly too early than to not do it in time or than to do it too late?
    Thanks

2. MiBirds

MiBirds Songster

Apr 7, 2017
    Georgia
    My Coop
    One other question! Is it more dangerous to not turn the eggs before 3 days before hatching or to continue turning them the 3 days before hatching? Cause I’m really not positive exactly how old the egg is.

3. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Temp stays the same throughout. Humidity between 65 and 75 at hatch. If your worried you can wait till you have a pip (internal you might here chirping or external you can see a crack in the egg) to raise humidity. Since toy aren't sure probably set the humidity at about 50% for now

venymae and MiBirds like this.
  4. venymae

venymae Prairie Wind

Aug 18, 2014
    Manhappiness, Kansas
    My Coop
    you should candle the eggs (shine a flash light through in a dark room) and check the air cell size. That will tell you about what day you are at. You need to get the humidity up after day 18 and stop turning. If you are not sure, don't stress! It'll be ok, just make sure to get humidity up as soon as you see a pip (the first crack/hole in the egg) [​IMG]

MiBirds likes this.
  5. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    In not sue in the turning question my understanding is it has its issues both ways of not turned enough before the start of day 19 it could stick, but turning during hatch could make it hard to get into postion, but some can still hatch

venymae and MiBirds like this.

6. MiBirds

MiBirds Songster

Apr 7, 2017
    Georgia
    My Coop
    I turned the turning off and I set the humidity to about 50%

7. sawilliams

sawilliams Songster

Nov 12, 2015
    Nor Cal
    Post pics of it hatchs. Be sure to raise the humidity son as you see an external pip

MiBirds likes this.
  8. MiBirds

MiBirds Songster

Apr 7, 2017
    Georgia
    My Coop
    Thank you so much to everyone who replied! We now have an adorable, healthy baby.
    I've attached photos. ❤

Attached Files:

9. Jmcggnj6

Jmcggnj6 Chirping

Mar 29, 2017
    SE Kansas
    Is it a silkie?

MiBirds likes this.

10. MiBirds

MiBirds Songster

Apr 7, 2017
    Georgia
    My Coop
    It is! White silkie mama and black silkie dad.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by