1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity in incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Yard full o' rocks, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I have just started (FINALLY!!) my first batch of eggs. I have 14 in the incubator....yeah!! I have a Hovabator Genesis 1588 and have followed ALL the instructions. Does anyone have a good idea of how frequently I need to check the water in the unit. I don't want to open it daily if its not necessary....especially since they scare you to death about too much temp. fluctuation. Thanks in advance....

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Do you not have a digital Thermometer/Hygrometer set in your incubator? That reads what your temp and humidity range is and lets you get it to the correct levels. The unit can be bought at any hardware store wor Wal-marts sell Accurites and Springfields that work perfectly fine.

Day 1 thru 18 for humidity should be a reading of 40 to 50% range

Last 3 days bump the humidity level to 60 to 70%

Last edited: Apr 6, 2009
  3. Yard full o' rocks

Yard full o' rocks Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 24, 2009
    Cartersville, Georgia
    I have one (i am in the hardwood flooring business) that I use to read R/H in homes....i believe it is a radio shack model. That work??

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by