Humidity in LG at 40%

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by secuono, Nov 3, 2010.

1. secuono

secuono Chillin' With My Peeps

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    I can't get the humidity to go up past 40 w/o spraying water in there, idk how often.
    There is only the water space that is built in, there is no room to add a cup or anything with more water...no room next to the eggs either.
    What do I do?
    I don't have a fan, so can't close the bottom air holes...

2. Splashsilkies37

Splashsilkies37 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 13, 2010
    Hi! I am not an expert, but what I did was add sponges. I then cut a straw the same size as the hole on top of the incubator and used a syringe to add warm water to get the humidity to where I wanted it. This helps that you do not have to keep opening and closing the incubator to add more water. I only check on mine twice a day, sometimes I dont even need to add anymore water. What are you hatching?

3. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    you dont need to go any higher with your humidity, unless your going into lock down.

4. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Thanks.
    I found little condiment cups and was able to fit a few just barley on the side. It's at 60% now.

About 15 Black Japanese and a couple of each of the following that came in today-Bantam Brahma, Serama, various Silkies

5. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    I agree with rebel yell, you don't need it any higher unless you are on day 18 or higher. 40% is good.

You said, "a couple that came in today-Bantam Brahma, Serama, various Silkies" You don't want it up to 60 you will drown them.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2010
  6. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Alright thanks

7. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Well, it's 55% now, w/o the little water cups.

8. ginbart

ginbart Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2008
    Bloomsburg, PA
    Are your plugs in or out?

If they are in take one out and that will help bring it down.

9. secuono

May 29, 2010
    Virginia
    Heat pours out of those red plugs, no fan, not sure I want to watch it for hrs while I get the temp back.
    Anyone know where to get the fan kit online for under $40?

10. rebel yell

rebel yell Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 27, 2010
    Alabama
    get you a pc fan, it is allot cheaper & it works really good, but your humidity is probably fine, i wouldn't worry to much about that, but i would go ahead & get a pc fan to put in it when ever the hatch is done, if you need any help pm me.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by