Humidity in still air incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by storminstaffs, Aug 25, 2010.

1. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    What such the humidity be in a still air incubator? I've looked on google but each site says something different.

2. LaurenM23

LaurenM23 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 16, 2010
    King George, VA
    There are multiple schools of thought, but the general rule of thumb is 40-50% for the first 18 days, then 65-70% for lockdown to Day 21. There is also dry hatching, where water isn't added until the levels reach the 25-30% range, but others will say that they have issues with shrink wrapping chicks because the rates remained too low going into lockdown. Personally, I add water to get close to 50%, then let it drift down into the higher 30s before adding more.

Others, still, prefer the weight loss method, which is much more hands on and scientific in measure. You are weighing the eggs to compare changes in mass (water loss) to the desired amount for the given point in incubation. Humidity is adjusted to get the desired amount of loss or gain. I plan to try this in the future, but the hands-on nature makes me a tad nervous! [​IMG]

3. storminstaffs

storminstaffs Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2008
    Durham, UK
    Thanks, I got 3 eggs so far just need to wait for my other hens eggs i want then the incy will be getting turned on again

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by