Humidity in the brooder...

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by JeninMN, May 2, 2008.

1. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    Hi!
    Chickies are almost 4 weeks old..will be on Sunday...if all goes well they will be out in their coop this weekend...we aren't opening the entire coop to them yet tho..about 1/2 of it and going to keep the heat lamp on still....

Our brooder is REALLY getting some humidity in it..is this safe for their lungs??? I am wiping it down every chance I get...maybe a combo of the waterer and the light being on in there??? This just started about 3 days ago...Has anyone else had this happen?? I worry about respiratory issues....

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I don't understand why your brooder box would be getting humidity issues?...How large, what is it made of, how many birds and do you not have an open top or wire screen?...

3. JeninMN

JeninMN Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2008
    The brooder is about 3.5 ft wide by 5.5 ft long...we have 28 chicks in there...so it is getting small for them...its been perfect till now...its made of wood...the top doesnt' have a screen and it is wood doors that just open or shut...we haven' t had any issues with it at all until these past few days but last night I noticed the top and one side were pretty damp...the soonest they will be outside is tomorro night...should we push for tomorro morning? They seem fine...noone is breathing funny or acting ill at all...heads look a little sweaty but thats it...they aren't huddling away from the light...I've been watching for that but they are all over in there...

Last edited: May 2, 2008
  4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    What watt bulb do you have them on and are there any vent holes to let fresh air in and out?.....Something is going on for it to be made of wood...If they were mine I would get them out as soon as I could...sweaty I would think isn't good...my thoughts...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by