Humidity in the Incubator. Do I need water?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by rhino533, May 21, 2011.

1. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    My incubators humidity is between 48-53% and I don't have any water inside it. I only add a tray of water on day 18. I'm just curious do you need to have a small cup of water at all times in the incubator? Is there a need for it if the humidity is already at 50%?

2. perolane

perolane Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2010
    Louisiana
    No...you're fine.

Since you live in a very humid climate, as I do...I only add enough water to raise humidity for hatching. My biggest problem is not letting the humidity get too high the first 18 days. I manipulate my incubator vents to control it. Works for me! [​IMG]

3. rhino533

rhino533 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2011
    Thailand
    Quote:Yeah that's what I thought. My humidity stays between 48-53% I have 2 airholes about 5/8" on either side of my incubator. Keeps the temp and humidity pretty steady. I can keep the temp between 37.4 - 37.7c at all times. I have 10 eggs that are on Day 10 in the incubator and I just candled them. So far 2 were duds and 8 seemed ok but there were a few I'm not to sure about so I left them in and will candle again on th 18th day. Hopefully all 8 will hatch. This is my second time hatching. First time I got 4 chicks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by