Humidity in the upper 60s....

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
And the chick was stuck? What the heck? The temp and humidity had been fluctuating a bit (my dad picked today to work on the electric, so the main breaker was off twice today
somad.gif
), but that made the humidity go up, not down?

I've only had 2 chicks hatch so far, from 10 or 11 eggs, should I try to increase the humidity on them?

Quote:
I am hoping this idea will help with that- I did it last time, not knowing everything was dead cause my themometer was 10 degress off the whole time.

My son and I went and bought a coil of the plastic tubing you use in aquariums for the pump, and then we bought a plastic mustard/ketchup bottle (the kind you take on a picnic). Take the tubing and run it into an airhole in the incubator, down into the water trough. Then you take the contaner, which comes with a screw top that is pointy, add water to the incubator by squirting it into the tubing, which carries it to the trough. VIOLA! No opening the bator on lockdown to add water! And you can add just a little at a time to get it where it needs to be.

I use the same airline tubing idea, but I use a big needleless syringe for adding water- because when needed, I can also remove water. With chicken eggs, I run lockdown humidity at 50-60%. This is a humid area of the world though.

It's always possible that even if humidy was perfect, that that egg had a thinner shell, and thus "dried out" faster than the rest. So what was idea for most, wasn't for that one egg.

Adding water was not the problem, I can do that with a bendy straw and medicine syringe.

I wasn't in lockdown yet, but I was trying to get there. Took the egg turner out. The darn instructions for my bator said to fill the resevoirs. So I did and my humidity shot up.

I have it stable now, and temperature is climbing but not back to where it should be yet. I hope my babies are okay.

Back
Top Bottom