Humidity is 52% without any water present in the incubator.......

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yuaan, Aug 30, 2013.

1. yuaan

yuaan Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2013
    I have bought mini Eco brinsea incubator and as advised to run it for 24 hours to maintaine the temp and the humidity. It's been nearly 4 hours sine I have run it without any water in it but still it is giving me the reading of 52% humidity . I am a bit concern is it the machine p laying up or the 2x hygrometer/thermometer are wrong?
    I need help as my eggs are due to be collected in 2 days .
    When I had this machine today morning I have run it with out any water and it drop humidity from 55 to 36 and then I have added 9ml of water to test it and it went up to 53% and then as I have emptied the water bit the humidity had gone down but went back to 52%.
    Where am I going wrong ?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

This time of year, the relative humidity is so high, I'm just going with the so called dry method. The humidity is staying well above 55% in our basement. Nothing I can do about it. No added water here.

The basement provides a steady 62F environment. No ups and no downs as it would be if I had the incubator upstairs.

3. yuaan

Aug 22, 2013
    I am also worried about the temperature. As the manufacture thermometer reading is about 37.5 but I also have 3 other thermometers . One of them is reading 36.5 and second one is saying 36.9 and the last one is saying between 37 - 38 .
    I am confused on average it says 36.67

4. gimmie birdies

gimmie birdies Overrun With Chickens

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I dry method too and keep my temp below 102. but I have home made bator.

5. yuaan

Aug 22, 2013
    What is the lowest tem an agg can be hatched

6. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    you don't really want to know the lowest- the chick would not be healthy.

7. yuaan

Aug 22, 2013
    [​IMG][/IMG]I am very excited that I have got my egg today and io have set them in the incubator with marking O and X to rotate and numbered them . I have some concern about the eggs.
    I went to guy 10 eggs from a breeder and she had 12 eggs , which she gave with 2 extra (bargain) so I have 3x silkies and the rest are sable poot . When i placed the eggs in the incubator I realised that the eggs would not fit in only 10 will so I have selected the one which I thought look ok . I have read somewhere that the porous eggs are not viable , if that is the case half of mine have pointed end on the eggs pours , I can see them . Is there something to worry about it ?

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013
  8. gimmie birdies

Feb 12, 2013
    Eastern WA
    I set all eggs I can. have you tried putting them up right? i have done that to make room.

9. yuaan

Aug 22, 2013
    I have tried it but the dome on incubator would not sit in properly , now I have turned the eggs after 7 hours and realised that one of the eggs has a crack and the egg looks dirty . I am so worried as the 2 eggs I have out as spare are better looking than the other one in the incubator . Please find the pic attached [​IMG]

10. yuaan

Aug 22, 2013
    I am also worried about the temperature . The brineea built in thermometer which is like in the middle of the incubator , is giving the reading of 37.5 but the rest 2 thermometers are giving different reading . Could it be that the thermometer are at the bottom on the surface of the incubator ?
    Pic to explains more what I meant [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 31, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by