Humidity is just not enough???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by AtlantisPeeps, Jun 28, 2016.

1. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    Today is day 21 and I have 3/22 pips. S few internal pips as well. It seems my humidity is too low, because the surrounding membrane looks dryish and white. I put some vaseline on the exposed membranes to keep them moist. I do not have a hygrometer, but have been keeping the wells full and have a nice wet sponge in there. I also spritzed some water inside the incubator. What else can I do to get the humidity up? There is no condensation on the little window.

2. Poultry parent

Poultry parent Chillin' With My Peeps

you can put a small bowl of water that hatched chicks can't get into in there. just really make sure that a chick couldn't get in and drown

3. AtlantisPeeps

AtlantisPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2014
    US
    I think I found the solution! I found a little spritzing bottle and filled it with hot water. I spritzed all in the incubator and on the eggs. I think that should help!

4. AmyLynn2374

AmyLynn2374 Humidity Queen

Oct 11, 2014
    Gouverneur, NY
    If the outside membrane is dry and white- that's good. That is what you want to see. Papery white. If it turns brownish/yellow and leathery that's not what you want to see and indicates that the membrane is drying out. I'll share some pics of pippers/zippers so you can see what healthy outer membrane looks like:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

ETA: You don't want to see condensation in the bator. That signifies too high humidity.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2016

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by