Humidity is too high?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by TicketyBoo, May 14, 2009.

1. TicketyBoo

TicketyBoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    Okay, so depending on the accuracy of my wet-bulb and dry bulb, I might be running around 95-100% humidity.
    What's the worst that can happen if the humidity is too high? And how should I lower it?
    Smaller dish of water?

2. chellebyerly

chellebyerly Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 21, 2009
    Jasper Texas
    what is your humidity with out water at all?

Cover the dish with tinfoil if you can, opening up just a little as you need to -to get more water area.

and I belive you will drown the babies before they hatch withthat much humidity.

3. yarnammurt

yarnammurt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Donaldson
    Hi, I have the same problem. Outside humidity is 70% and I cant get it any lower in my incubator. I have 2 2" vents on the top open and 2 2" vents on the bottom open. And it is still high I think I am going to put some rice in the bottom to help. Just have to try something. Oh and no water pan.

4. TicketyBoo

TicketyBoo Out Of The Brooder

Feb 14, 2009
    I think the rainy weather hasn't helped overnight and today.
    I took the water pan out but still have a small dish for my wet bulb thermometer. Hopefully that'll help.

Oh and I added a 3rd thermometer because the other two don't agree with each other. I think a trip to wally world to get a digital therm/hydr. one is in order.

5. yarnammurt

yarnammurt Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Donaldson
    I live in Arkansas and I've had about 16" of rain in the past 12 days. So there's not much I can do. I just hope it 's not hurting the chicks.

6. NancyP

NancyP Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Bonifay,Florida
    I am having the opposite problem. It is taking extreme measures to keep my humidity up. If you are already running dry inside the incubator about the only thing you could do would be to lower the humidity level in your house. Use a dehumidifier, run heat or AC, etc.
    Good luck and hope it works out for you.

7. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    I am on day 24 with humidity always about 65, so I have the same problem, and on day 21 one cracked half way, but today is 24 and nothing, I wonder if the humidity messed things up too? Im sending great vibes your way to help you with your humidity

8. lovin'mychicks

lovin'mychicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Central Alabama
    I try and think of it like this,
    I live in Alabama where is spring/summer humidity is always high. If these chicks were under a broody hen, I know they would be in a high-humidity atmosphere, more so that the bator which is indoors.

This is why I decided on a dry hatch method and I use very little water through out the entire hatch.

Hoping for the best![​IMG]

9. dab045

dab045 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2009
    Kingsville, Missouri
    So you have been successful with humidity at 70 or so? And thats a good way to look at it to!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by