humidity issue in wooden incubator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Pinky Macgyver, Jan 25, 2013.

1. Pinky Macgyver

Pinky Macgyver Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 31, 2012
    Hi, I built a wooden box to use as an incubator and I'm having trouble getting the humidity up. It sits at thirty no matter how much water I put in it. Could the wooden walls be soaking up all the moisture? Also, the incubator is way too big. I only have six eggs and i reckon I could fit three trays of thirty in. So I guess the size could be affecting it too.
    I already set the eggs. Low humidity at the start is ok right? I'll just need to fix it up soon. I'm on day three at the moment.

2. wsmoak

wsmoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it lined with anything? I'm building a wooden one, and planning to line it with reflective foil insulation. It comes in a roll and feels a bit like bubble wrap covered in foil. I was more concerned with keeping in heat, but I bet it will also help with humidity.

-Wendy

3. Sally Sunshine

Sally Sunshine Cattywampus Angel <straightens Halo> Premium Member Project Manager

Aug 23, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    My Coop
  4. Eggzausted

Eggzausted Out Of The Brooder

is your room humidity dry?

5. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    Wow, I didn't realise anyone had responded. It didn't show any responses on my list. Thankyou :)
    I have since lined it with bubble wrap because it was the only plastic I had enough of, didn't think of using foil. That only raised the humidity to thirty five though. Maybe too many air holes? I have six.. I will try the rag thing now. Should I cover some air holes?

6. Pinky Macgyver

Dec 31, 2012
    Oh, and yes, despite having an aquarium in the room, it's humidity is about 25

7. Eggzausted

Eggzausted Out Of The Brooder

I have a time keeping humidity levels up in the winter when the air is dry,I have to limit the vents and use a sponge,fiber pad or rag to keep the level up.The larger surface area of your water pan the more can evaporate.A square pan has more surface than a round one.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by