Humidity Issue

Discussion in 'Quail' started by PinkBee, Dec 15, 2013.

1. PinkBee

PinkBee Out Of The Brooder

Apr 23, 2012
    Southwest Florida
    I'm using an ECO 20 that doesn't have a hygrometer built in, so I bought one and, in trying to see how accurate it is, set it near my (expensive so it better be accurate) house thermostat w/hygrometer. It's off by 6-9% and the temperature is off by 1 degree. *sigh* However, what this has shown me is that my house, yesterday, was about 59% (or 65%) and today, 73% (or 82%)! Yes, it's raining atm and windows open (I don't like to use a/c or heat unless absolutely necessary. I don't like being closed up. And it's 75F. [​IMG] ) Now I'm worried that having put a little water in the one trough of the ECO may be overkill (literally) for my eggs. It's day 8. Suggestions? I've been reading about "dry incubation" and wonder if I should just not put anymore water in the trough until day 14 and lockdown. Or, if even that might not be necessary. Is it possible all my little quail eggs have already drowned?

2. dc3085

dc3085 Chillin' With My Peeps

I've never used that incubator but maybe i can help. What is the humidity in the bator? as long as you are maintaining generally 45% +/- 7-10% you will get a hatch. It may not be optimum but some of these little guys just want to hatch no matter what you do.

For best results with my coturnix and bob white eggs I run the bator at 55% for lockdown I run my hatcher over 65% and try to keep it under 75%. When chicks start to hatch dont worry about humidity because it is going to go wacko because of the additional moisture inside the eggs now being released.

3. PinkBee

Apr 23, 2012
    Southwest Florida
    I hadn't place the hygrometer into the incubator yet because it was so different from the house thermostat. But, I just did, so I'll let you know in a little while what it says (it initially took about 1/2 hour to settle when I put the battery in. Also, opening the incubator to put it in has probably upset the balance too much atm to get an accurate reading.)

4. dc3085

Keep me posted.

5. PinkBee

Apr 23, 2012
    Southwest Florida
    An hour later it seems set at 52% (minus 6-9% that would be 43-44%.) This should be okay then, right? (Interesting, though I guess the heat would evaporate some of the humidity. It just seems that here in FL that the higher the heat, the higher the humidity. I guess that's not how it works everywhere. lol)

A little disturbing that the thermometer reads 99 while the incubator thermometer reads nearly 100F.

6. dc3085

I wouldn't mess with it. My first incubator would run at 40% all the time I still got plenty of hatchlings out of it. I wouldn't worry too much about the temp diff. Either one is likely to be off by just a bit. I have a box full of thermometers and hygrometers and I'd bet money you cant find two in there that read exactly the same. If your hatch comes off on the earlier side of things then maybe next go around lower the incubator temp by a 1/2-3/4 of a degree.

7. PinkBee

Apr 23, 2012
    Southwest Florida
    Thank you! That makes me feel less stressed and worried and with a plan if things don't work out exactly. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by