Humidity issues in Incubator for Call Ducks

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by cackleberrylinda, Jul 4, 2010.

1. cackleberrylinda

cackleberrylinda Songster

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    Hi
    I am having a hard time getting the humidity up in my incubator. any tips? It's a Brower and the first time I have hatched duck eggs. Been a long time since I have hatched anything. Anyway, I can't get the humidity over 29% and I really want to get my call duck eggs going before it's just too darned late. I have a dish in there with water in it. Why oh why did I ever think hatching calls was a good idea? I guess I was more optimistic that day than I am right now. I'm actually scared to do this. Is that silly or what?
    Thanks for any advice you have for me.

2. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    I had to google the brand of incubator as I had never heard of it - but wonder about you saying that you have a dish of water in there. My incubators have a tray to fill for water..but I often need to put in extra to raise the humidity- Is there some kind of try or area to put water in this type of incubator- or is the dish you have in there the only water that is providing the humidity??

I will continue with my google search about this kind of bator as my previous search only came up with pictures and not instructions for use. I will see what else I can find out for you.

3. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
  4. Sweetfolly

Sweetfolly Songster

Apr 17, 2009
    Kildare, Wisconsin
    Pile wet washcloths or paper towels in there - anyplace you can fit them. That's what I do in my Brinsea Ocatgon 20 - if the water channels aren't getting the humidity high enough, I put washcloths under the tray, and I even pile them around the edges of the egg tray. You'll get more evaporation area if you kind of crumple them up - you want to expose as much surface area as possible.

The trouble is, I only do that at hatch time...if you're doing it for regular incubation, the washcloths are going to dry out pretty quick, and you'll have to be attentive to re-wetting them for the entire 4 weeks. But it's worth is for Call ducklings, right? [​IMG]

5. cackleberrylinda

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    So, do you think it would not be a good thing to lay the eggs directly on the wet towel? And would it be okay to not keep the humidity up till hatch time? I guess I will get good at this hatching thing,,,, oh maybe by the time I'm 90, and then, hey! hopefully there's still more to learn.

6. cackleberrylinda

Jun 6, 2010
    Arlington
    There is galvanized dish about 5-6 inches across under the wire grid that the eggs sit on. It's a great old incubator. I had one back in the early 90s and I am so glad to have one again. I also have a Havo bator that I haven't used because I am leery of it not adjusting the heat properly. Any one out there have one and have you used it successfully. I guess there are quite a few models of that brand. If the model matters, I will look it up.

7. geebs

geebs Lovin' the Lowriders!

Sep 28, 2008
    mist them every 4 days with a water bottle sprayer and on day 18 put a dish of water in it

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by