Humidity issues, need help

mustangsaguaro

Songster
12 Years
Nov 30, 2007
San Martin, Ca
wooden_pony and myself are getting a bunch of eggs to hatch. She is the one that is going to hatch the eggs out. She is having a problem w/ getting the humdity right. We got the temp good. We have a digital thermometer along w/ hygrometer w/ that and then she has another hygrometer in too. I believe the digital was reading 36 or 37% while the other was reading around 56-60%. Should we get another hygrometer what should we do? Eggs are going in on Thur. or Fri.

Kim

Do a search about a humidity test. Speckled hen gave a very clear guide to testing for humidity with a ziploc bag and a cup of salt. Try that with each of your gauges to determine which one is off!

The thread was in October/November of 07.

Edit: I did a search, and can't find the thread I was thinking of. Maybe it was MissPrissy's instead? hmmm. will take another look.

Last edited:
I never have less than 3 GOOD thermometers and hygrometers in each incubator and hatcher. If you have the holes plugged up, you can add a wet sponge in, or a pan of water to help boost the humidity.

Ok, I found it; the thread was started by 'halo' on December 10, 2007. And speckledhen posted about the salt&water test.

Also interesting, from another thread, is this post by PoisonIvy:

"I did the homemade salt water test and it made mine have reading of 9% & 8% off. I then went and bought the humidity calibration tests bags from a cigar store. I left them in for 8 hours then 12 hours and took readings. It read correctly at 75%! I then tested all of them 6 different times in a 2 week period and all but one of my hygrometers read correctly at 75%. So I recalibrated my r-com 20 and this hatch the chicks popped out clean and with no trouble. I guess when I did the homemade test I didn't do something right and I then caibrated my incubator wrong. I just wanted to let you know to be careful if you made your salt water bag to test with. I would try to find a cigar store and buy one of their bags they run about $3. I bought mine offline when I ordered my temp/hygrometer from them. It made a big difference in my hatch."

Hope this is helpful!

Thanks NewGuineaChoocks for your help and the searching you did for me!
hugs.gif

We have a cigar shop Downtown that I go to often
big_smile.png
I will pick up the humditiy test bags and see if I can make sure at least one of the hygrometers are reading correctly since they are so off from one another!

Thank you again so much!!! Keep your fingers crossed we have a great hatch
fl.gif
!!

Lisa
smile.png

I never have less than 3 GOOD thermometers and hygrometers in each incubator and hatcher. If you have the holes plugged up, you can add a wet sponge in, or a pan of water to help boost the humidity.

We have three good thermometers. All three of them read very close to the same temp. On reads a tiny bit above the other two, and two of them always have the same temp on them. We also have a water wiggler and probe that reads true in the incubator.

My main problem is the hygrometers are so off from eachother. I have one right now that reads 43% and the other read 63%. Kim and I are just tring to figure out what one reads true before we set our eggs we are getting. I am also kind of worried about adding in another hygrometer and it might read another humdity level.... Why did I take on this hatching of eggs????
smile.png
JUST KIDDING Kim!!
wink.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom