Humidity Issues

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by pbjmaker, Jun 8, 2008.

1. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I just set some chicken eggs yesterday in a still air incubator. Temp and humidty was just right. Unfortunately we are having ANOTHER storm and the humidity is way up to 65% in the bator. The humidity in the air around here has gotten crazy, ground is saturated, my basement has water in it, yards are flooding (and we are NOT on a flood plain). So how do I get the humidity level down? The eggs are being turned by hand, but I am afraid to take them all out and try and drain some of the water in there. Any suggestions?

2. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Are all the air holes unplugged? If not unplug them and that should help. Is there a ceiling fan in the room? Turning it on may help. My humidity went up with a recent storm. I made sure all the curtains were drawn and turned on the ceiling fan and unplugged one of the holes in the bator that was closed. This helped bring mine down.

I am no expert but I don't think 65% is too awful, but it is high.

3. pbjmaker

pbjmaker Overrun With Chickens

May 9, 2008
    Central Iowa
    I had to turn them just now so I had read somewhere that you can put foil over part of the "water" tray - so I am trying that. I had already unplugged the vents - it had been creeping towards 70%. I don't have a ceiling fan in that room but I might try turning a fan in the room - I'll just posistion it so it won't create a "draft". Now if everyone would just go outside and sing "Rain, rain go away, come again another day (or even month)" it might work!

4. donnap1967

donnap1967 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 15, 2008
    Northern NJ
    Yes you can use foil to block part of the tray that holds water. The less surface area with water the lower your humidity will go. Hope it's better for you!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by