Humidity Issues

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Kaydesfo, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Kaydesfo

Kaydesfo Out Of The Brooder

Dec 8, 2014
    Our 10x10 chicken coop is consistently humid. We house 53 birds in there and despite living in the north with fairly consistent temperatures of -20c we are experiencing high levels of humidity, usually 85-95%. As you can imagine, the maintenance is awful, the litter becomes soaked within days. We have an entrance to the outside that we keep open for ventilation, the door doesn't close properly so the heat and condensation escapes there also.

The coop maintains a temperature of about 5 degrees with no heat lamp and the hens are laying well. We are thinking it would be beneficial to put an exhaust fan in there but aren't sure whether it should be installed higher or lower on the wall, which fan type would be best, or methods of timing the venting.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!

2. DrRocco

DrRocco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 17, 2014
    Springfield, IL
  3. Kaydesfo

Dec 8, 2014
    Much appreciated!

4. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    More venting....and more space per chicken!!

5. Kaydesfo

Dec 8, 2014
    They've got more than enough room as we have extensive perching and nesting areas.

6. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It's not so much about all the places where they can put their feet (tho that's very important too IMO)
    but the amount of poop and respiratory moisture from that many birds in that amount of space.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2014
  7. Kaydesfo

Dec 8, 2014
    Not much can be done at this time unless I butcher hens. Their summer coop/run is much bigger than this. I just wind up cleaning very frequently.

8. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.

Sure, something can be done. Get out the saw, and cut a hole or two, and get some fresh air into the coop.

9. Kaydesfo

Dec 8, 2014
    You misunderstand me. I'm not going to build an addition onto my coop and DrRocco beat you to the punch with the suggestion of a turbine style vent which we will do, and I have acknowledged and thanked him for that. Good to see there's a peanut gallery on every site.

10. JackE

JackE Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    North Eastern Md.
    What are you talking about? I didn't say anything about building an addition. Though that would probably be a good idea, with 53 birds. A turbine vent, is not going to do anything, as far as the humidity problem goes, UNLESS you cut some holes into the coop, for the fresh air to come in. Yeah, but you go on ahead and waste time and money on that pinwheel fan. 53 birds, You need more fresh air/ventilation. And to achieve that, you will need to cut more holes into the coop.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by