HUMIDITY LEVEL FOR MY TURKEY EGGS?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kare21162, May 23, 2008.

1. kare21162

kare21162 Chillin' With My Peeps

RIGHT NOW WE ARE ON DAY 20 FOR MY TURKEY EGGS AND I JUST GOT A HYGROMETER FOR IT AND I HAVE IT SITTING ON THE EGG TURNER INBETWEEN THE EGGS AND THE HUMIDITY READS 67%. IS THIS THE RIGHT HUMIDITY FOR DAY 20? HOW HIGH DOES IT NEED TO BE ON THE LAST 3 DAYS? DO I NEED TO HAVE THE HYGROMETER AT A DIFFERENT SPOT? THIS IS A STILL AIR INCUBATOR TOO. THE TEMP ON THE TOP OF THE EGGS STAYS BETWEEN 99-100. THIS READS LOWER BECAUSE IT'S AT THE BOTTOM OF THE EGGS. I ALSO HAVE ANOTHER DIGITAL THERMOMETER IN THERE AND IT READS AT 100. I DO HAVE ALL THE WATER CANALS FILLED AT THE BOTTOM OF THE INCUBATOR. I'M GUESSING THAT I WILL NEED TO ADD A SPONGE OR SOMETHING FOR THE LAST 3 DAYS? ANY HELP! I HAVE A PICTURE OF WHERE THE HYGROMETER IS BUT I CAN'T FIGURE OUT HOW TO POST IT ON HERE.

Last edited: May 23, 2008
  2. NYREDS

NYREDS Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2008
    67% is a little high for the incubation phase. 50-55% is more like where you want to be. Increased to 60-65% 3 days before they're due to hatch.

3. kare21162

SO I SHOULD TAKE SOME OF THE WATER OUT OF THE BOTTOM? IT'S NOW SITTING AT 70%. WELL AT LEAST I KNOW THAT THE HUMIDITY CAN GET UP TO THE RIGHT PERCENTAGE FOR THE HATCH. IS THIS HIGH HUMIDITY BAD FOR THEM RIGHT NOW? MAYBE THAT'S WHY I LOST 7 EGGS OUT OF THE 16!??

4. kare21162

SO I TOOK THE WATER OUT OF THE 2 WATER CANALS AND JUST LEFT THE WATER RING FILLED AND NOW THE HUMIDITY SAYS IT'S 79%! SHOULDN'T IT HAVE GONE DOWN WITH LESS WATER? WHAT'S GOING ON HERE?

5. SterlingAcres

SterlingAcres Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 17, 2008
    Poconos, PA
    My redwood bator's humidity has always ran high, even without water in it. It's always around 65-70, regardless of what I do and I've hatched turkeys in it just fine.

Good luck.

6. kare21162

THANKS! I JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THE BREEDER I GOT THEM FROM AND HE SAID THAT HE RUNS HIS INCUBATORS AT FULL HUMIDITY AND HE ALWAYS HAS GOOD HATCHING RATES!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by