Humidity Level In Incubator Up And Down???

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by MelissaBA, Aug 21, 2014.

1. MelissaBA

MelissaBA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    I notice my humidity level in my incubator keeps fluctuating back and forth from around 40% to 60%...Is that an issue???

2. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    It begs the question 'why is it fluctuating?' Are you opening the incubator often? Is it in or near a kitchen or bathroom area where humidity increases during use (showers, boiling water)? Or is your hygrometer working improperly or need a new battery?

3. MelissaBA

MelissaBA Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2014
    Incubator is new, so I wouldn't think it's a battery issue, It is near my kitchen but not near any appliances. I am not opening the incubator up, just raising it on the side to put water in it when the humidity drops. My book says humidity should be around 60%. Is this going to affect the eggs???

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    60% during incubation is too high in my and many opinions. It does not give the egg chance to evaporate enough water for a proper size air sac.

[​IMG]
    I run 35-40% humidity and candle on day 10 and 14 to check the air sac, if not large enough then have no water in incubator for few days or even to day 18 and if too large (never happens to me) add more surface area of water to up humidity to slow down the growth.

On day 18 is when humidity should be 55-60% in preparation of chicks piping and zipping so they don't dry out.

I've never seen a humidity gauge be accurate that is built into an incubator. You should purchase a separate small combo hygro/thermometer and calibrate it with salt test.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by