humidity-moisture on window?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by klf73, Jul 16, 2008.

1. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    I just put my water in my bator today(day 18). This morning my hygrometer said 56%. Ok, so I add a pan closer to my light, with sponges, humidity now says 54% [​IMG] . I know this can't be right because my glass (front) has water droplets on it. I have a different one in my other bator so I think I am going to switch them out. I just don't want to go overboard on the humidity. My question is, when you all up your humidity, does your glass "steam up" or have quite a bit of water on it? Thanks in advance for replies [​IMG]
    Krista

2. josh_bigler

josh_bigler Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    windsor, missouri
    yea its probably best you have another device in there to make sure it is working properly, if your having that much condensation on your window on it then obviously you have more than 54%? but thats just how mine works, when mine hits 70 it started doing that on my plexiglass

3. Three Cedars Silkies

Three Cedars Silkies Overrun With Chickens

Apr 17, 2008
    Gainesville, Fl.
    Hygrometer has to be wrong. Check it with another one. Mine doesn't fog up much because I have double glass panes with an air cushion between them. But I also have a single pane glass door on the front and it will steam at about 70%.

4. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

What are you using for a hygrometer? People often have the AcuRite with the probe and they think the probe measures humidity, which it does not; they have the unit outside the bator and are actually getting the reading for the room humidity. So many people have that hygrometer/thermo unit, thought I'd ask.

5. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    If the window is wet with droplets on the inside, the humidity is close to or exceeding 100%. Take the pan of water out while you get a new hygrometer. (unless you have it like speckledhen suggests) [​IMG]

Jody

6. Davaroo

Davaroo Poultry Crank

Feb 4, 2007
    Leesville, SC
  7. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Yep, that's it [​IMG] . I just stuck a suction springfield precisetemp in. I had the same thing but with probe, didn't know the probe didn't do humidity [​IMG] (should have read directions [​IMG] ). Thank you Speckledhen, it is already reading 62% and rising. I am pulling the second water container now. Thanks for the quick responses [​IMG]
    Krista

8. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine
    Quote:Davaroo - I actually dry hatched this one after reading this, so I wasn't too concerned about humidity until this point [​IMG]
    Thanks!
    Krista

9. hinkjc

hinkjc Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Jan 11, 2007
    PA
    Glad you got it figured out. Good luck with your hatch. [​IMG]

Jody

10. klf73

klf73 Mad Scientist

Jun 1, 2008
    Maine