humidity never stable :(

Discussion in 'Quail' started by DavidFromGlenEden, Nov 15, 2017.

1. DavidFromGlenEden

DavidFromGlenEden In the Brooder

Aug 6, 2017
    Hi BYC,

I have 2 hova bator incubators that either state over 70% humidity when filled with water, or is under 30% when dry. The humidity is still above 70% when I put a little amount of water. It's pretty much dry or wet but never in between.

How do you guys target say 50%?

Thanks all :)

David

blackdust951 likes this.
  2. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    It depends on what the ambient humidity is at your location.
    When I had to use the foam bators, I would only add about two tablespoons of water in the dry bator. Usually 2 times a day. It generally stayed between 45 to 52% humidity.(ambient humidity was around 30% most days) Just play around with it to find out what will work for you at your location.

DavidFromGlenEden and Ulaidian like this.
  3. DavidFromGlenEden

Aug 6, 2017
    thanks Sean for the swift response. You're spot on! I have 2 polystyrene hova bator incubators, the outside humidity is 53% according to my dehumidifier.

I was way off the chart according to your recommendation. Over the past 2 weeks, I put a can of soda (330ml) worth of water once at the start (day one), the humidity was over 70% and took about 12 days to drop to 30%. Last night (still day 12) I put half a can of soda, the humidity was over 70%, so I tipped the water off the plastic see through tray leaving about 2 tablespoons of water left in there, the humidity was still is 53% in the incubator (same as the outside humidity).

Would the high humidity over the first third of the incubating period affect the hatch?

Many thanks,

David

4. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    David, your not going to like this answer....but yes, high humidity will adversely harm the embryo during hatching.
    When humidity is too high during incubation, less moisture is lost from the egg and as a result, the air sac is too small in size, the membrane is less brittle and rubbery.
    When the chick is trying to break through the membrane, it will use too much energy or will suffocate from the lack of oxygen before it can externally pip. Also, if the egg hasn't lost enough moisture, the chick cannot rotate inside the shell...it becomes stuck. The fluid around the chick dries out once the chick has externally pipped. If theres too much moisture in the air sac (you can see it in white shelled eggs when candled) upon internally pipping, the chick will drown. Some people say it can also cause birth defects but I haven't seen any evidence of high humidity durning incubation causing a birth defect.
    I leave eggs that I set in an upright position durning hatching, versus a horizontal position, just incase, if there is excessive moisture in the air sac, hopefully when the chick pips it won't pip too low into the membrane and drown. Wish you the best of luck with your hatch.

DavidFromGlenEden likes this.
  5. DavidFromGlenEden

Aug 6, 2017
    Thanks Sean for the swift response. The humidity was high over the first third of the incubating period. Do you think a lot of harm was done?

Would you strongly recommend to set the egg upright when hatching? It might work out difficult when the new born chicks play soccer with the other eggs.

Cheers,

David

6. 007Sean

007Sean Enabler

Oct 25, 2015
    South Central Texas
    I don't know about strongly reccomending doing this but It's what I do, with good results. If your using a automatic turning tray, just turn it off and leave the eggs in place. There's not too much soccer being played that way.
    How much harm has been done is hard to know at this time.
    The answer to your question is what in general happens when humidity is too high during the incubation process.

7. DavidFromGlenEden

Aug 6, 2017
    Thanks Sean for your support, I'll certainly let you know the stats when/if the chick hatch.

Cheers

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: