1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

humidity on newly set eggs

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by BeardedChick, Nov 9, 2008.

1. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

I set my eggs yesterday, and the humidity is running a little high today - around 63%. I have three pencil sized holes open.

I thought I read that newly set eggs will sometimes have higher humidity naturally - is this the case? I removed the sponge entirely (it was just a bit damp from pre-egg testing).

Am I OK for now or do I need to change something?

I do have a larger hole up higher on the bator, but when it's open the temperatures fluctuate more. Right now, the temperatures are holding rock steady so I don't want to change things unless it's necessary.

Room humidity is only 23%, so I keep thinking the humidity will come down on it's own. Will it?

Thanks!!!!!

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    No, you don't need or want your humidity that high. Too much humidity the first 18 days can ruin the embryo that is developing. Try taking water out, its still early enough for you to do that. Keep the humidity range anwhere from 40 to 50% the first 18 days and I even keep mine sometimes lower like in the 30s. The last 3 days of incubation you want a range of 60 to 70%. These are the averages that most people hatch by.

3. BeardedChick

BeardedChick Chillin' With My Peeps

Thanks - I know it should be lower, but wasn't sure at this point how to get it lower without risking temperature fluctuations. Didn't know if it would be safe to wait and let the humidity drop on it's own or not...

The GOOD thing is - it's dropped down into the mid 50's range since I removed the sponge. Hopefully its drying up in there.

4. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Good, just be patience and watch.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by