Humidity or dry method: Which do you prefer?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by blzzrdqueen, Mar 9, 2013.

1. blzzrdqueen

blzzrdqueen Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    So I am doing a lot of research and right now am looking at whether to use the water pans or go the dry incubation method. Since this will be my first hatch, I have nothing to go by. So I'm doing a little poll: Water pans or dry incubation, and why?

I will be setting eggs either Monday night or Tuesday morning. The bator will be in my dining room where the temp is consistently 72 degrees. I am in upstate New York, and spring is right around the corner for he humidity levels outside are starting to rise a bit. I am not sure of the bator type yet as I am getting a loaner from the co-op on Monday morning. It'll hold 3 dozen eggs, but I am only setting one dozen, various breeds of chicken eggs. I am leaning towards the dry method.

2. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
    I have heard from experienced hatchers that they had much better hatches using the dry incubation method. I have not tried it myself yet, so I cannot give you my personal opinion, but here is an excellent article on the topic that you can look at:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-incubate-hatch-eggs-using-the-dry-incubation-method

And while I'm at it, another incubation article that is very informative that I think you will find helpful:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/hatching-eggs-101

Good luck with your hatch!

3. tec27

tec27 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    i do everything dry until lockdown and then i crank the humidity up to 70%

4. eggcited2

eggcited2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2010
    Illinois
    What does "lockdown" mean?

5. tec27

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    its when you stop turning the eggs and raise the humidity to 60-80% to get ready for the eggs to hatch. Lockdown starts on day 18.

6. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    Do you keep track of humidity during lock down?

7. sumi

sumi Égalité Staff Member

Jun 28, 2011
    Rep of Ireland
  8. grannychicken54

grannychicken54 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2012
    OK
    I am trying the dry incubation this time so far it is looking better 12 out of 16 made it to lockdown this time and that was using shipped eggs I went by the article that was refered to hoping for a good hatch

9. blzzrdqueen

Mar 6, 2013
    Albany NY
    I find myself constantly referring back to this article, over and over again. I am using the air cell to keep track of how much humidity I need. With no water in my still-air bator, I have 30% humidity. I'm think that should be fine. Today is a rainy day though and that humidity level could change...

10. tec27

May 6, 2011
    Pittsburgh
    yes. between 60-80%. i like 75%. seems perfect for my incubator.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by