Humidity Problem (duck egg)

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by lslauds, Apr 20, 2008.

1. lslauds

lslauds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    Alright, my last and only hope as recently pipped through in the last hour, and I'm still having issues with the humidity. The temperature inside is 101.7 F and the humidity is at 60 percent when it should be at 70 percent. I have the rings filled, a total of 8 sponges, and two soaked washcloths. I lost the last duck from poor humidity, this time I don't want to mess up. What's the deal?

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Maybe your humidity guage isn't working.

3. lslauds

lslauds Out Of The Brooder

Apr 17, 2008
    HAHA!
    I fixed it.
    I forgot that it was originally intended for reptile cages and you are supposed to set it against the wall.
    It went from 58 percent to 75 percent.
    Thanks anyway!

Oh, yes. Do I keep the temp. at 101 or lower it to 100? My manual says lower to 100, but...

4. waterfowlrescue

waterfowlrescue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    NC
    What difference does it make? The ducks are better off dying in the shell that to be left to die, which is what you plan to do with them.

5. tommijo

tommijo Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Read my post against all odds. I just had a hatch, I would put a warm wet paper towel over the eggs. I even had to put drops of water in the peep holes so the membrane would stay wet.

6. BantyHugger

BantyHugger Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2008
    Ponder
    Post pics when its done. I love ducklings! What breed are they?

Waterfowlrescue - Your negativity is not needed. Ducks bred for meat are breed to serve a purpose. I think its great if lslauds wants to eat hers. I don't criticize your choices and you shouldn't criticizes hers.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  7. tommijo

tommijo Out Of The Brooder

May 31, 2008
    Here, Here to the BantyHugger. I raised 50 mallards on my lake last year along with my 10 to 50 greater Canada's depending on the day. This spring I put up nesting tubes for the mallards. The 20 males left this spring worried the 16 hens so bad that all but one hen left the pond to raise elsewhere. The one left hatched 8, and the second day the males chased the hen and ducklings into the woods trying to breed again. The hen returned with no ducklings. She lost a leg but still tried to raise another brood. Hopping on one leg she rolled 4 eggs into the water before I put more straw in the nest. She set on three egg for a week before she disappeared.
    Nature is a lot crueler than people know. Man has dominion over the birds and animals so we do as we see fit. I will raise my ducklings and let them go on the lake. I will raise chicken for eggs and meat, As for helping something when things are not going right. I will do anything to give a life a chance. We did not plan it but our daughter came 2 months early and we had to deliver her at home. She was breach and I had to pusher her back in the canal to get her legs out first so she could come out. Still born and had to give her a breath and a slap to get her breathing. If I would have let nature take its course I might have lost a wonderful daughter, now married, an a loving wife of 34 years. So I believe in doing all you can and know you tried. I have hunted and taken game and fowl for 50 years. I thank God for that and giving me the the chance to give something or someone the chance to live.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2008
  8. waterfowlrescue

waterfowlrescue Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 24, 2007
    NC
    She isnt eating the ducks, she is stealing eggs from ducks at the pond, hatching them and then abandoning them. I never said anything about eating ducks. I said ducks left to suffer died after being abandoned was cruel. I would rather see her eat them! Stealing eggs isnt saving an animal either. Its taking an animal from the wild or trying to hatch something that the mom rejected and did so for a very good reason.

9. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    Please, please. Islauds, quit hatching these ducks. Every post you make hurts me because I can't contact animal control to go out and make you quit this horribly illegal and cruel practice.

10. fowltemptress

fowltemptress Frugal Fan Club President

Jan 20, 2008
    I didn't notice this was an older post . . .

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by