humidity problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by dadsgirl, Jan 14, 2009.

1. dadsgirl

dadsgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    i have a dry air incubator and am trying to stabalize it for my next hatch, i can get the temp correct, but cannot get the humidity over 28% ---i live in florida, and want to know if anyone knows how i may improve this. i am doing dry incubation. from a article i read. any help would be great.

angie

2. swtangel321

swtangel321 ~Crazy Egg Lady~

Jul 11, 2008
    Well, with dry incubation you usually dont add water unless the hum falls under 25%

Do you have any water in the bator now ??

3. dadsgirl

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    thanks for replying,
    i read the instructions and it said the humidity needed to be 50% at the beginning, without any water i can only get to 28% - if i add some water i have got up to 33%, i am like u if it is dry incubation it seems there would be no water at the beginning, but in the article on day 18 you add water to get it up to 75%.

would you tell me how you do your incubation, and how your hatch rate is , maybe i should dry a different way.

thanks so much for your help

4. magikchick

magikchick ~FEATHERFOOTED DIVA~

Apr 21, 2007
    SW Florida
    I add just a little water and keep it around 25-35%. After day 18 I try to keep it at 40-50%. Once the hatching starts I bump it up to 60-70%. Seems to work pretty good.

5. MissPrissy

MissPrissy Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

May 7, 2007
    Forks, Virginia
    Put a humidifier in the room with the bator. Also put a clean wet sponge inside the bator to increase the water surface area. That should work.

6. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:For dry incubation you dont want the hum 50%..... Have you read this info? https://www.backyardchickens.com/LC-DryIncubation.htm

I
    "dry incubate" and keep my hum right around 35% day 1-18 (its ok if you have to add a little water to get it up in to the 30's) Just remember to add a little water at a time and give it time to go up before adding more !! Your goal should be 30%-40%

On day 18 I add more water to up my hum to 60%-65% - depending on the weather I somtimes have to put a few wet (new) sponges in there also !! IMO, 75% seems high to me !!

Where did you read the info on dry incubation ???

Also like MP said.... If you put a humidifier in the room that might raise the hum without having to add water, But again it's ok to add a little water for dry incubation !!

7. dadsgirl

Jun 30, 2008
    jay, florida
    thanks so much for the information i am going to try it your way and see what happens, do you keep your vent plugs out until day 18?
    and does your temp run lower in the am?
    i seem to have problems with that also.
    and i also read for no air incub to keep temp at 101 . is this correct or incorrect??

thanks so much for your help.

8. swtangel321

Jul 11, 2008
    Quote:What type of bator do you have ?? Im guessing a LG ??

Day 1-18 I keep 1 plug out and then on day 18 when I up the hum I take the other plug out

Still air 101-102 I find if I keep my temp at 101.5 ish it wont drop below 100 during the night. The best thing is to have the bator in a room where the temp stays the same !!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by