Humidity Problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cp_30256, Feb 15, 2008.

1. cp_30256

cp_30256 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 22, 2007
    Georgia
    I am having problems trying to get my incubator to 50%, I have bowls of water in there but it is still only at 37%. Can anyone help me. I have the big 1502 incubator.

2. GAhen

GAhen Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2007
    Carrollton GA
    I have been putting saoked spunges in mine, but it is not really a large bator....
    I have 57%. What is your temp??

3. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I have the best luck with wet sponges to raise my humidity. I lay them in a butter lid and wet them. The lid helps keep the moisture from dripping away, but isn't deep enough to drown any chicks that are hatching.

4. cp_30256

Oct 22, 2007
    Georgia
    My temp is 99. I thought by putting the bowls of water in there it would raise it enough but it hasn't.

5. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    Do you have air holes in your bator? Are they open all the way? If they are, I would close them up some. [​IMG]

6. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

Something else to remember is that it's water surface area that helps raise the humidity. I don't know what type of bowls you have, but large and shallow is better than tall with a narrow opening.

7. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

Could it be your hydrometer? [​IMG]

Could you add in a second one as well just to see if you might have a faulty one.

8. cp_30256

Oct 22, 2007
    Georgia
    DUHHHHH!!!! [​IMG] how dumb am I not thinking about the hole in the side and the one in the back so I pluged them up and will see what happens. Thanks so much and what is a hydrometer? I have 3 medium size shallow bowls in there.

Last edited: Feb 16, 2008
  9. silkiechicken

silkiechicken Staff PhD Premium Member

What are you measuring the humidity with? If you are not doing wet bulb/dry bulb, that tool doing the direct read out is called a hydrometer.

Might check the hydrometer for it's accuracy as the humidity may indeed be high.

10. cp_30256

Oct 22, 2007
    Georgia
    I bought a humidity and thermometer gauge and it reads both. Is this a hydrometer? What is a wet bulb/dry bulb?

Last edited: Feb 18, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by