1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Humidity problem

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Airplaneguy57, Jan 23, 2011.

1. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    Just built my bator and in the process of setting the temp. I had the door open outside and it was 94 percent. I have a pie pan of water in the bottom but it doesn't seem be doing much. As the temp rose the humidity dropped to 30 percent. How do you get up to where you need and keep I there?

2. jm93030

jm93030 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    Try To Use A Wet Sponge Inside The Pan
    The Sponge Will Absorb Most Of The Water
    This Way You Can Add More Water

3. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i've seen somewhere where someone put a jar of water in the 'bator with a fish tank airstone... i would think that it would raise the humidity a LOT... since that's what some people put into chameleon and frog terrariums...

but a sponge will help... also wet rags in the bator...

4. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I have no experience with homemade bators.

5. valley ranch

valley ranch Chillin' With My Peeps

Greetings, I'm running a homemade. Try a jar of warm water. Do you have a fan in the bator?

Richard

6. rebelcowboysnb

rebelcowboysnb Confederate Money Farm Premium Member

Quote:Pump has to be in the incubator too to work so your not pumping cold dry air in to the incubator. I ran a setup like that for a while before I switched to my foggier system.

Last edited: Jan 23, 2011
  7. Airplaneguy57

Airplaneguy57 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2010
    Rio Medina Texas
    I'm running a computer fan that blows on the temp sensor for a hot water heater. My heat source is a 100 watt bulb. This is all located the the ice tray area of a small fridge. The fan will run the whole time eggs are present. The water pan is in the very bottom. I thought it would be better on the bottom so the babies have no chance getting wet. The heater is also out of reach so they can't burn themselves.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2011
  8. gumbii

gumbii Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2010
    bell gardens, ca
    i have two water trays in my fride-a-bator...

i got one flat one for the bottom of the egg trays... it's the top lid from a salad from walmart... LOL... it's clear and slim... i put about 40ml of water daily and holds my humidity aboot 45%... and for lock down i have a taller hard plastic container near the heating element and fan witch is located up on top.. when i fill that up with water, by itself it boost my humidity up to 60-65%.. but i have to take out the longer tray...

try different stuff out... different size jars and containers... i was even thinking about using hydroton pellets i have left over from my vivarium project... they're clay balls and are used as soil for plants in aeroponic setups...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by