1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity problems again?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickenrun223, Feb 15, 2009.

1. chickenrun223

chickenrun223 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    I've got a bator with quite a number of eggs inside, due to hatch on the coming friday, Feb 20th. The problem is, lately my humidity has gone to 40% and even dropping to as low as 34% yesterday! I have water containers all over the bator floor next to the eggs and yet, my humidity refuse to raise to more than 42%. Can anyone help?

2. Wifezilla

Wifezilla Positively Ducky

Oct 2, 2008
    Colorado
    I'm having the same problem here in Colorado. Sorry I can't help, but I look forward to seeing what the experts say.

3. chickenrun223

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    [​IMG] hopefully we'll get a reply soon enough.

4. chicksnducks

chicksnducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2007
    Durant OK
    try sponges...humidity works on the area, so sponges worked well for me! Good luck

5. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    What kind of bator do you have?

I was having humidity problems with my LG9200 and I have found a solution for mine. Those little troughs in the bator are not much good.

I had my bator on top of 2X5 gallon plastic buckets that I use for emergency water storage. I simply removed the lid from the top bucket, drilled a hole near the top for a aquiarum air hose to fit snuggly through. Threaded a air line to the bottom of the bucket with a air stone. And then connected that to a air pump with a regulator in between to control air.

When the bator is on top of the bucket it should for the most part be sealed off. When the air enters the bucket through the stone it mists the air, the humid air then enters by a small amount into the bator through the small vent hole in the center. I know have with 20% humidity in the house 50% humidity in the bator with one vent hole open. With 5 gallons of water in the bucket it should easily last through the incubation period. I also had a hard time filling those water troughs now I don't even bother with them, but I do fill them at the very start but they don't get low now.

6. chickenrun223

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Its still a bit of a problem for me, as mine is a home built incubator. I dont have anywhere to put the water or a tank or anything. [​IMG]

7. WalkingWolf

WalkingWolf Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 1, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:Then try increasing the humidity in the room. You should be able to get a reasonable humidifier from a department or discount drug store.

8. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    With the heat (highs in the 90s) that you are getting there right now and humidity at almost 50% outside, you probably don't have to worry as much until after day 18.

If the bator is inside where you are airconditioning, that can dry out the air.

All I can suggest is to continue to monitor and add water. I have a little tube that goes right from the tray up through a hole in the top of the bator that I coninually add water to.

9. Jamie821

Jamie821 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2008
    Niota, Tennessee
    sponges do work better then containers of water. Dont stack the sponges up as you need surface area not depth. Also when the chicks hatch they can drown in the containers of water. Saturate the sponges in real warm water and lay them on the floor but not touching the eggs.

10. chickenrun223

Jan 25, 2009
    Selangor, Malaysia
    Thanks. I'll try the sponges.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by