humidity problems............*update - help!!!!*

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by spish, Jan 27, 2011.

1. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ok ive had my brinsea eco 20 up and running fr a few hours..temp is spot on but humidity is driving me looney! checked it 2 hours ago, it was at 55% so i added a touch more water (only half filled one reservoir and left the other empty) i checked half hour ago and humidity was at 35%?????

stuck a different hygrometer in and it gives the same reading, so ive filled up that one reservoir to the top and its only up to 40% humidity

should i fill up both then or im never gonna reach 58%! then what do i do when i need the humidity higher at hatching time? if i alredy have both channels full theres no room for more water??

vent is open half way.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  2. wyoDreamer

wyoDreamer Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2010
    I believe the depth of water in the resevoir wouldn't affect humidity level as much as if there is water in one or both. The surface area exposed to the air remains the same no matter how deep the water is unless the reservoir is a "V" shape. If it has sides that slant outward , then adding more water would increase the surface area.
    Filling both reservoirs would give you a greater surface area for the water to evaporate from, therefore more humidity. The depth only adds more volume and gives a longer time between needing to add more water.

3. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    thats my point, if i fill both up now (so twice the surface area really) and that brings the humidity up to where i want it...how will i further increase humidity when it come to hatching time??theres no more 'surface area' to add to?

4. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    filled both reservoirs up before bed last night. just got up.
    temp 35 degrees humidity 35%
    you have got to be kidding me!!!!!!!

help!

where am i going wrong???

5. CDennis

CDennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    I have the same bator, its hatching chicks right now. I fill both and adjust the temp to 99.5, it went as high as 101 and as low as 99 but most of the time stayed right there w/ humidity at 40%, I am not in lockdown with humidity 70-75% a little high, but not much I can do now. 7 babies and more pips.

6. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    so i dont need humidity of 58% (as suggested online?) 40% is good too for the first 18 days??

7. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
    It was just fine for me. I would calibrate your hydrometer if you haven't already mine reads 5 degrees low. But I was told 35-45 is fine for chicken eggs....and 7 of mine have hatched. To bump the humidity for lockdown....I put a maxi pad where the reservoirs are located and put a decent amount of water in it. Then to refill I don't bother with the reservoirs I have just been taking a straw and syringe and adding to the maxi pad. I know it sounds silly but it seems to work for me, again its my FIRST hatch. So take it for what you will. May want to hit up one of the Brinsea hatch groups for more experience and knowledge.

8. deerman

deerman Rest in Peace 1949-2012

Aug 24, 2008
    Southern Ohio
    Yes that can work. My guess your room is extra dry, heater ?, If you can keep the door close to the room, if need keep a pan of water in the room also

9. CDennis

Apr 1, 2009
    Idaho
  10. spish

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    i shall definatly give it a try [​IMG] many thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by