humidity problems....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by ajcress, Feb 4, 2008.

1. ajcress

ajcress Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    I have a lg still air bator and am having problems with the humidity. It is staying between 28 to 32% I bought a thermometer/ hydrometer. I cannot get the humidity to rise above 32% I am not sure what to do. Any one have any tips? Thank you in advance.

Athena

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    What day is your hatch on?...day 1 to day 18 you try to get the humidity between 40 to 50%...any where in there even high 30s will work....day 18 to 21 you need it around 60 to 70%....Try putting a rolled up wet sock, washcloth or a wet sponge in there...sometimes in the winter months I also have a small humidifier running in the room near the bator...

3. 4-H chicken mom

4-H chicken mom Overrun With Chickens

Aug 3, 2007
    Oberlin, OH
    I had to put three bowls in mine to get the humidity to 50%. The house is just too dry. Good Luck! [​IMG]

4. ajcress

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    I am on day 7. I will try the sponge. I had water in the bottom but it dropped to low 20's. I hope I can get the hang of this. I am testing a few of my own eggs before I buy any. should I have my thermometer probe in a water wiggler in this LG? I didn't know if it might make the temps more regular. they are between 100.5 and 101.5 now.

Thanks

5. ajcress

Dec 14, 2007
    Masontown, WV
    oh one more thing... I think I should candle but i am not sure what to look for now? I should have done this a while ago huh??

6. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    I'm going to try sending you a link to show you the candling development you should see every time you candle...Day 7, 14 and 18....just turn out all lights in your room and use a good small flashlight...

I have never used a water wiggler although I have two of those suckers...My hatches turn out great without them and my old bator is not that big that I can afford use up good egg space!!...lol..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by