Humidity Problems....

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by SamG347, Feb 28, 2008.

1. SamG347

SamG347 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    Im having problems getting my humidity in my Turbo Fan Hova-bator up any higher than 30%. I have all the water troughs filled and a warm wash cloth sitting ina tubber-wear container in there. My Little Giant has no problem getting up in humidity. But I have been having problems with this Hova.
    Any tips or tricks will be appreciated.. [​IMG]
    Thanks yall

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Are you sure you're reading humidity right, Sam? What hygro are you using? Same as with your LG?

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Does the hygrometer need a new battery?...

And Sam I found in this cold weather with the heat in the house I'm having to keep a humidifer or childrens cool vaporizer going in the room where the bator is....

4. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

I'd have to agree with Cyn and wonder if your readings are right. I've not had that problem with my Hovas. If I'm having problems getting the humidity up I add a sponge and that takes care of it right away.

5. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I will put some new batterys in the thermo...but temp seems to be reading fine. And both plugs are in.
    It could be with the cold outside the heat in the house...but the Little Giants windows have moisture on them...Hova has nothing.
    Will update tomorrow.

6. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
    I put in the battery....but it still says 30% and now temp jumped to 101.3. I might just have to use my Little Giant for my quail eggs. The wierd thing is I can see some conensation around the windows on the hova....so I would think the humidity is higher than 30%. I might order a new thermo/hygro today. Any recomendations? Or is there a good one I can pick-up at the local pet store?
    [​IMG]

7. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    I feel certain you have a faulty Hygrometer, Sam. They go bad for some reason. If you are seeing any condensation at all the humidity is way higher than 30%. The darn things have cause more bad hatches than I care to count. If you are running both of them at the same time and you have an equal amount of evaporative surface then the humidity should be very close. The only thing I can think that would change that would be if the fan was in hyper mode and just blowing so hard it is drying out the air. I guess if is possibly that the fan is wacked out but I doubt it.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2008
  8. SamG347

Mar 4, 2007
    PA
  9. jimnjay

jimnjay Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Bryant Alabama
    Sam, I love my Fluckers. I have had it now for almost a year and I could kick myself for waiting so long to buy it. It is nice and small and fits really well in the TX-6 and it is dead on accurate. I know some have had some bad luck with them but the store will replace it if it is faulty. Test your new one when you get it home against a mecury thermometer, like you take you own temp with just to make sure it is accurate. Since it is designed to be used 24/7 in a humid environment, I feel it is more reliable than some of the ones that are designed to be used to read our room temperature.

Good Luck

10. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

My first Flukers digital was nutty, but I did exchange it and the new one is great.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by