1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Humidity problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Kathryn202, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Kathryn202

Kathryn202 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    Inverell, Australia
    Hi
    This is my very first batch of eggs, and I'm having trouble with keeping the humidity constant. I fill up the channels and then it goes up, then down in a matter of two to three hours. I'm using a Janoel 48 egg incubator.
    Any suggestions would be much appreciated.
    Thanks

2. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Are you putting warm water in? The only time I had the same thing happen to me is when I put warm water in the well of my incubator instead of cold or room-temp water. How much is it dropping in 2 or 3 hours?

3. Kathryn202

Kathryn202 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    Inverell, Australia
    The water is cold, straight from the tap. It varies between 7-15%

4. KLRA

KLRA Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Lane County, OR
    Have you check the lid to make sure there are no gaps or anything? Looked over the whole incubator for cracks? I'm sorry I can't be more helpful. Maybe add a jar of water with a small diameter to keep the surface area of the water small so it evaporates slower?

5. cva34

cva34 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2011
    Van Vleck ,TX
    Are you maybe in AZ .Or inside home in cold country that heat is on most of the time humidity can get really low..cva34

6. Kathryn202

Kathryn202 New Egg

Jan 23, 2012
    Inverell, Australia
    I'm in Australia, and the weather has been all over the place recently, with all the rain about, so the humidity is up and down. The incubator is in the shed. Now the rain is passing through I'll see if it will stay constant now.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by