Humidity problems

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by mrsturnwald, Mar 23, 2015.

1. mrsturnwald

mrsturnwald New Egg

Jun 21, 2013
    Cave Creek, AZ
    I'm so confused! I have a Brinsea Octagon Pro20DX incubator that comes with a Humidity Module. This is our 3rd attempt at incubation. The first time was considered a success as 6/10 fertilized eggs hatched. The second round was a little rough at only 4/11. And this time I fear none are going to hatch. I realized after the second round that the tubing from the humidity mod had broken so no water was getting to the incubator. I added new tubing and hoped for the best. When I realized that it didn't seem like any water was being removed from the reservoir (much unlike our first time when I had to refill the jar a couple times) I just started squirting water into the foam pads in the incubator every day to get the RH up. I'm worried that that may have caused too much humidity followed by too little in recurring cycles. The whole system is on the floor in our pantry so very little external change in temperature. What could be my issue? This system is on loan from our neighbors and I've never incubated before this... Yesterday was day 21 and I'm not seeing any action. The eggs looked good when I candled them last.[​IMG]

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Do you know what the humidity is now? You should aim for about 65%, assuming that your air cells are on track. How are those air cells?

3. mrsturnwald

mrsturnwald New Egg

Jun 21, 2013
    Cave Creek, AZ
    I'm not sure what you mean mby air cells...

4. Egghead_Jr

Egghead_Jr Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2010
    NEK, VT
    Air cells are the voids in fat end of egg that grows larger as the egg loses moisture. Running RH around 35% first 18 days will allow the egg to lose enough moisture, then up humidity to 60% for hatching/ lock down last three days.

[​IMG]

5. mrsturnwald

mrsturnwald New Egg

Jun 21, 2013
    Cave Creek, AZ
    Got it! Yea those look good, my issue is that I can't keep the proper humidity level in there because the pump is t working. Only way to get moisture in is to open it up and squirt water in... Which drops the temp... And adds more air in...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by