Humidity question . . . 2nd hatch

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by KatyTheChickenLady, Apr 30, 2009.

1. KatyTheChickenLady

KatyTheChickenLady Bird of A Different Feather

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Okey dokey then,

I have a Hova-Bator 1588 (forced air)

First hatch I had a 30% hatch rate. Didn't candle or have Hygrometer. Think I might have had around a 50% rate had I had a hygrometer as it apeared several of the chicks in eggs dried out after pipping or zipping.

14 days into second incubation, candled at day 7 took out the definate infertiles (only three but there may have been more), three thermometers agree temp steady at 100.8, bought a hygrometer it says 65% with the water in tray C as according to instructions.

So the the question is; on the sticky at the top here it says Humidity should be 58-60% during incubation and at 65% for hatch . . . is this solid fact? Or does everyones vary a bit? Is mine to high?

I WANT THESE BABIES!!!!

2. Dread Pirate Roberts

Dread Pirate Roberts Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    NorCal
  3. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    wow thanks, great thread, I guess it is too late for me to weigh this time [​IMG]
    Question/clarification from your thread though; is the air cell supposed to grow?

4. Ruditchka

Ruditchka Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2009
    Air-cell enlarges during incubation..., yes![​IMG]

5. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Quote:Oh dear, I better candle again . . .

6. Pagemaker

Pagemaker Out Of The Brooder

Mar 28, 2009
    Wet Bulb vs. Relative Humidity

The relative humidity in the incubator for the first 18 days should remain at 58-60 percent or 87-89 (degrees)F., wet bulb. Increase the humidity during the last three days of incubation to at least 65 percent relative humidity or 90-94 (degrees)F., wet bulb.

Here is a chart that shows how to convert Relative Humidity to your wet bulb readings.
    [​IMG]

And here is a guide to how the air cell should be developing if the humidity is correct.
    [​IMG]

An excellent way to determine if proper humidity is maintained is to candle the eggs. The normal size of the air cell after 7, 14, and 18 days of incubation is shown. As incubation progresses, the air cell of the egg becomes larger because moisture is lost from the egg. Necessary humidity adjustments can be made as a result of the candling inspection.

Information taken from this webpage:
    http://www.msstate.edu/dept/poultry/avianemb.htm

Last edited: Apr 30, 2009
  7. LoveMyBirds

LoveMyBirds Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2008
    Quote:I'm no egg-spert on this by any means, but I just hatched 15 of 17 of my own Bourbon Red Turkeys one unfertile, 4 of 7 chicken .3 unfertile< and 1 of 14 bought eggs that were shipped .. (who knows what took place on this group..) <-and that is NOT a Q!!

My humidity was up and down of course, but roughly at 45%.. When the hatching started it went up to 60-80%.. I kept my temp around 99.5 - 100.5..

I used a Hova 1583 with Fan and Turner on that bunch..

8. KatyTheChickenLady

Dec 20, 2008
    Boise, Idaho
    Wow awsome infrmation guys thanks!
    So according to what's posted here I think my 11 day incubation has a slightly smaller than should be air cell but this is probably due to my slightly higher than should be humidity.
    so . . . . lower humidity and we should be ok?

9. Zgoatlady

Zgoatlady Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 20, 2009
    Enumclaw, WA
    My Coop
    Ok
    So stupid me for the first 3 days had the humidity down to the lowest was like 22% thought it was 47 (had the stupid thing out side the incubator) so than I got it up to 50-60 for 8 eggs to hatch which 7 did.
    My question is what should it be at Im at day 6 right now. I have a LG forced air and egg turner(which I love the turner)
    I have read up to 60-70% wont that be to much moisture?

10. ChickBond 007

ChickBond 007 Licensed to Cull

Feb 26, 2009
    Madison County, Iowa
    Quote:Zgoatlady -- my advice is 38% for days 1-18, then 60-70% during days 19-21 hatch cycle. I've just had a great hatch with those #s.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by