humidity question...ASAP....chick should be hatching and its not

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by duck&chickencrazy, Jan 26, 2009.

1. duck&chickencrazy

duck&chickencrazy Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    How do i up the humidity, i have a chick in the bator that is overdue and i was told i should up the humidity...but i dont know how to up the humidity...HELP. Now its between 49 and 52.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  2. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Add more water. Either slip some wet papertowels/rags in or if the water in the bottom tray is getting low I use a syringe and airline tubing (from the aquarium section) to add water through the vent holes. It's best to avoid opening the incubator as much as possible. You should have added more water to up the humidity on day 18 when you stopped turning the eggs.

3. jvls1942

jvls1942 Overrun With Chickens

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    duck&chickencrazy :

How do i up the humidity, i have a chick in the bator that is overdue and i was told i should up the humidity...but i dont know how to up the humidity...HELP. Now its between 49 and 52.

OK you are not in too bad a shape.

do not open the bator

take a piece of tubing, like a straw, attach it to a funnel with duct tape.. now feed the tube through one of the vent holes being careful to guide it away from hitting any egg.. Pour a small amount of hot water into the funnel.. about one ounce of water for starters..

If the humidity goes high, do not worry, it will come down quickly.

If you can get to 60% you should be good to go.. as I said, you are not too bad at 52% ..​

4. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i have done that....i cant get it up anymore. i added the wet paper towels on day 18 and i have not been able to get it up to 60. any other ideas. i dont know why the hum wont go up and i dont know how to raise it.

to put water in, i would just pour it on the paper towel that i set in there, i set it right under one of the vent holes.

Last edited: Jan 26, 2009
  5. the1much

the1much Currently Birdless Hippy

a sponge wet down works good,,,, but dont worry about it not getting up as high as you want it,, ive had 50 or so hatch in 40%,, and only 1 had some stuck shell.

6. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    duck&chickencrazy :

i have done that....i cant get it up anymore. i added the wet paper towels on day 18 and i have not been able to get it up to 60. any other ideas. i dont know why the hum wont go up.

what kind of incubator do you have?

If it is a Hova or Lit Giant you should have vent holes on top.
    2 of them.. are they open or plugged?​

7. duck&chickencrazy

Dec 2, 2008
    Indiana
    i have a LG and i had one vent covered up but i think i heard that you should cover up both if you want a high humidity so i covered up the second one today

8. jvls1942

Oct 16, 2008
    wausau,wisconsin
    Quote:See? don't worry..

It could be that your hydrometer is reading a little low..

some chicks hatch 3 days late..

and once the eggs start to hatch, the humidity should rise a little ,too..

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by