Humidity question for Bobwhite Quail

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Dphillips9, Aug 31, 2016.

1. Dphillips9

Dphillips9 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Hello All,
    I have 50 bobwhite quail eggs in my hovabator 1588. I am on day 22 and have several that have "pipped" while I was at work today , but do not see much movement going on. My humidity is at 63-64%. Do I need to place a sponge in there to raise it a little? Or will 63 be fine? I'm just a little nervous about them pipping and then drying out in the shell.
    Thanks ahead of time for any responses!

2. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    I'm not sure if quail do better with a lower humidity at hatch or not. But a lot of people will hatch at 65%. If you're a hands off hatcher and don't open the incubator at hatch time then 65% should be fine. I like mine a little higher, I hatch at 75% but I do open the lid here and there. Have you calibrated your hygrometer to make sure it's accurate? How many wells did you fill?

3. Dphillips9

Dphillips9 New Egg

Mar 2, 2014
    Yes. I have two hygrometers and both have been calibrated and are within 1% of each other. I came home from work today and nothing had changed. Still the same pips. I know EVERYONE says not to help them hatch, but I felt like I needed to. And after seeing how thick and dry those membranes were, there's no way any of them would have made it out. I have hatched several hundred bobwhites with humidity around 75% ( like you said) but was told many people have better luck around 65% so I thought I would try it. Never again. Lesson learned. Hopefully if they all end up making it, they will not be weak or sickly. I really appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post and helping me out. I will take your advice and stick with what works. Thanks again!

4. RubyNala97

RubyNala97 Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2015
    Hudson Valley, NY
    Not everyone says not to help!! ;) I'm actually on a thread that promotes helping, at the right time.
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/1081034/hands-on-hatching-and-help/7020#post_17464331
    I only hatched quail once and only one egg made it to pip and I had to help that tiny little guy. I really like hatching at 75%. Anything under 70% and I have problems. The fan in my incubator is so strong (brinsea octagon 20) and it dries out membranes quickly and the chicks become like glue! I'm glad you were able to get them out! Good job!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by