humidity question on a new bator and new person running bator

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by cjexotic, Mar 2, 2009.

1. cjexotic

cjexotic Cj's Mandarin Ducks

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    I have a 1588 hovabator. I fired it up this weekend as my eggs I ordered are due this week. My temp stayed between 99.9 -100.2.
    My question is what should the humidity be? It started out at 75 degrees. But I think it was because I put too hot of water in the tray. So I dumped it out and started with more like room temp water. After running all night it was 63-65 degrees. Is this too high? I did have to take the plug out to get it there from 75 degrees. Should the plug be out or is that for when the chicks begin to hatch.
    Thanks for any help before the eggs get here. Cj

2. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    Try adding water to only one of the trays untill day 18 then add water to the other one. this should get you to between 45 and 55 % humidity.

3. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    I did put water only in the tray it said to but could only get it down to 63-65 degrees. Does this mean I put too much water in? is the theory less water lower humidity? This is all new to me. Thanks cj

4. bockbock2008

bockbock2008 Why do they call me crazy??

Dec 30, 2008
    Southwest Indiana
    If you go to the incubation/hatching section, the second post is a sticky with lots of information on this.

And try taking both plugs out.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2009
  5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    Possibly to much water , I am new so I dont know a whole lot but I had one question ? Whats the humidity where you live and in youre house? The humidty where I live has been 65-75+ the past week and I am shure that would effect any bator I had if I had one at the moment and Then again useing fireplaces and heaters and stuff could dry out youre house humidty inside. So if it was me I would remove a little water but I would also check the local humidty on the weather channle or what not and test the humidty in my home just to make shure.
    Good luck

6. the_eagle69

the_eagle69 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 1, 2009
    Far SW VA
    ok great i would try takeing out both pulgs for sure and see what happens. humidty is controlled by the surface area not depth if both pulgs out dont help try covering part of the water holder(water well) with card board or if it drops to mutch one pulg back and then cover. Also what is the room humidity?

7. cjexotic

Mar 11, 2008
    Central PA
    I have only one plug. And I do have it out now. I will try the cardboard thing. Thanks cj

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by