humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jay1995, Feb 6, 2009.

1. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    My incubator just said to fill up the water rings in the bottom of the bator. How do I change the humidity? I just dont understand it. Please help.

2. Keep bottom full of water , if you need more humidity wet a sponge with warm water and put on bottom of bator

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You need a Thermometer/Hygrometer ( measures the humidity). They are placed inside the incubators for the readings. Ranges for humidity are usually kept in the 40 to 50% range the first 18 days and 60 to 70% range the last 3 days of incubation. The Thermometer part reads the temps, the Hygrometer reads the humidity.

Thermometer/Hygrometers can be purchased at Walmarts, some brands are Accurites and Springfields and Bemis. They are in the garden sections of stores along side reg. Thermometers.

Water wells or troughs as they are called are in the bottom plastic liner of the bators. I usually keep the middle section ( C trough ) filled for the first 18 days and then all the troughs the last 3 to bump the humidity to the correct level.

Last edited: Feb 6, 2009
  4. jay1995

jay1995 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2009
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Thanks very much for the help I really needed it. I'm going to wal-mart to get one today. Thanks.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by