Humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by deerhunterblp, Mar 4, 2009.

1. deerhunterblp

deerhunterblp Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Can you just put a cup with water in it in the incubator for humidity?

2. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You can yes, some use small plastic butter tub and either add a couple paper towels into it or a small sponge. Do you have a hygrometer to read the humidity?

3. Irajoe

Irajoe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 3, 2009
    South Carolina
    If you place a container of water in the incubator and plan to also use the incubator as your hatcher, consider putting some marbles in the water to eliminate the depth (and eliminate the possibility of chicks drowning). Another option is to use a container that has a lid through which you've drilled lots of small holes. [​IMG]

4. txfresh

txfresh Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2009
    Texas
    Putting a cup with water in the incubator will reduce surface area and it will take much longer time for the water to evaporate. It will be better to have a pan of some type because they are usually wider and more water will fit. Some small incubators that hatch about 4-10 eggs or so do require 1 cup of water. Putting a pan with water is much better.

It all depends of what size of an incubator you have. There are some incubators that hold up to 40 eggs, others 216 chickens eggs. The bigger the incubator, the more water it requires.

5. deerhunterblp

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    I have one that will hold 40 eggs but I only have 8 in it right now. I hatched some eggs out with little water. After that I washed it out with bleach and I'm trying again.

I do not have anything to read humidity.

6. Cherlyn

Cherlyn Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 24, 2009
    Alconbury, England
    You should definitely look into getting a hygrometer... they are cheap and well-worth it.

~Cherlyn

7. deerhunterblp

Feb 20, 2009
    Batesville, Arkansas
    Thanx for the info. I'm thinking about getting a whole new incubator so that I don't have this problem.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by