Humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by PotterWatch, Oct 12, 2009.

1. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I know that on day 18, I am supposed to increase the humidity and then close the bator and leave it that way. My question is, how do I know how to increase the humidity to the right level? I can fill the water wells and take the foil away from the part I currently have covered, but what if that isn't enough? What if it's too much?

2. Nicola

Nicola Chook Cuddlin' Aussie

Feb 23, 2009
    ACT
    some poeple keep it about 60-70%

3. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    You should have a thermometer/Hygrometer to read your temp and humidity levels with. You buy them separate, they do not come with the incubator.

First 18 days your range should be around 40 to 50%

Last 3 days 60 to 70%

4. Hi! Yes, and calibrate it before you believe it. They quite often come out-of-the-package unable to give you a correct reading.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

5. PotterWatch

PotterWatch My Patronus is a Chicken

Apr 22, 2008
    Virginia
    I do have a hygrometer in my bator right now and it's been holding pretty steady around 40-45 (I did calibrate it before using it). My question is, how do I know how much water to put in to get it up to the 60-70 range for the last two days? What if I fill all the water wells and it goes up too high or it never gets high enough? Since I know you aren't supposed to open it back up after you set the eggs for hatching, at what point do I open it back up to fix the humidity? If it gets below 60 or above 70? It took me quite a bit of fiddling to get it to where it is now, so I'm concerned that it won't be correct with my first try on day 18.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009
  6. Hi! Oh, just add a little 'surface area' at a time and wait. You can increase humidity gradually and won't squirrell the hatch by doing that. Here, filling all three troughs / wells in my LG's will take the humidity to 65%.
    Good luck!
    [​IMG]
    Lisa

7. Laney

Laney Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 25, 2009
    Spring Hope, NC
    I intend to make a "device" that I have seen mentioned on here a few times before I hit day 18 to help me get my humidity right without having to violate the lockdown rule.

You'll need to get a syringe, you can get that at Tractor Supply or your feed store, or at the pharmacy. They can usually sell you a dosing syringe, just not the needle.

Then go to the pet store and get some aquarium tubing. You just need a short length, long enough to reach the tray in your incubator.

Hook the tubing onto the end of the syringe. Slide the tubing thru the top of one of the holes in your bator down thru the chicken wire tray and into the water well. Now, use the syringe to push in water AND to suck out excess if you have too much.

Next time I hatch I'm going to have this set up from day one. I wish I could remember who to give credit to for this, but I read the idea here on these boards.

Laney

8. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Quote:If this is your first time hatching you just have to experiment with your humidity levels for your bator and your house. Not everyones works out the same just come as close as possible. If there is too much humidity you know to decrease your water supply alittle at a time. Remember when they start their pips the humidity will rise anyway from the chicks hatching out.

Start by adding just alittle water and see where it goes.

9. tagra123

tagra123 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 28, 2009
    Lima, Ohio
    I don't use the plastic try with the hovabator.. Before starting the hatch I place wax paper down then place a pie tin cut to 1/2 the height with a sponge in it. I leave the pie tin dry until day 18.

I added a computer fan to my hovabator and place a shot glass with a sponge in it under the fan. Fill this glass every other day from day 1-18.

On day 18 I fill the pie tin in addition to the shot glass.

My humidity for the 1st 18 days averages 55% - 60%.

For the last 3 days the humidity averages 75% to 80%.

As far as lock down -- I don't bother. If I need to open the incubator I do and in my incubation I have usually achieved 90% of eggs that were fertilized.

The sponge I use is scotch brite no scratch sponge with the scotch brite removed. I use only the sponge portion -- any sponge should work.

Walmart has a $8.00 digital thermometer with humidity. It will display averages too.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by