humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by kyrose, Jan 15, 2010.

1. kyrose

kyrose Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    ive got a still air styrofoam bator.im getting ready to set eggs tomorrow.i have no water in it and the hygrometers (ive got 2 in there )are reading around 55.how is that possible with no water?
    thanks,terri

2. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    With no water in the incubator you are probably getting the same humidity reading as the air outside of the incubator.Check it and I bet it's about the same.Good luck with your hatch. [​IMG]

3. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    is that ok?
    thanks

4. Chipper

Chipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 12, 2009
    Washington County, NY
    It may be a little high,I like around 45% the fist 18 days but I think you should be OK.To get it lower right now you would probably have to dehumidify the room or move the bator to a drier area.I would not worry to much just yet.Enjoy your hatch and try not to drive yourself nuts. [​IMG]

5. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    Quote:me go nuts?[​IMG]

6. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

Did you calibrate your hygrometer? That sounds pretty high, especially for winter (with the furnace on).... I would check with another hygrometer, and be sure to calibrate them.
    Humidity is controversial. Many say it depends on the altitude where you live. I use 30 -35% during incubation, and 60 - 65% during the last 3 hatching days.

7. kyrose

Jul 29, 2009
    Melbourne,Ky.
    i calibrated both hygrometers.it started to go down during the night so maybe it was just a fluke.ill have to keep a good eye on it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by