Humidity question

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by EdistoChicks, Aug 18, 2010.

1. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    I am using a hand-me-down incubator. What I did not realize is that the prior owner drilled a bunch of holes in the rings that are to hold water. (Hence the lack of humidity) If I add wet towels do they have to be under the egg turner or can they be above or in the egg turner trays? Thank you!
    Melissa

2. ChickLover98

ChickLover98 The Chicken Princess

Apr 24, 2010
    Pennsylvania
    I have no idea. Sorry. Im really new to this, too. My water rings are ok because I just bought my bator. Sorry, I was no help... I hope someone better comes along.

3. psymbiosis

psymbiosis Out Of The Brooder

Jul 23, 2010
    Can you seal them back up...like with silicone or something? Not sure about the sponges, but I would think anything to add humidity would be good regardless of placement. Maybe an old pro will know for sure?

4. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    What kind of incubator is it Melissa? I am having a hard time picturing it. Surface area is what increases humidity.

5. EdistoChicks

EdistoChicks Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 18, 2010
    Edisto Island, SC
    A old hovabator, one of the styrofoam ones. I think they may have had a problem with too much humidity and drilled holes to remedy it? I think it is time for a new bator!

6. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Seems like you would have a plastic water tray and screen on top of that. If the tray is drilled, can you line it with plastic wrap so it won't drip too much?

Worse comes to worse, fill the styro bottom with water to where it doesn't leak from the air vent holes.

7. bigstack

bigstack Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 4, 2010
    Texarkana, TX
    I started with a LG. I had to add several small shallow plastic trays in the bottom of mine! Any thing wet will help. sponges Paper towels wash rags... anything!

Good Luck and God Bless!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by